Photo

Today I Cooked

• Please log in to reply
9806 replies to this topic

#761 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Huge burger craving hit me around 4pm. Who am I to deny my tummy what it needs?

Studded with cilantro, garlic and cremini, set atop a fresh onion roll, and topped with smoked gouda and spicy homemade ketchup, it was delicious. I couldn't finish it, though. :(

Soooo full.

#762 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

That is one of the best looking burgers I have seen in a long time! Decadent -- truly a thing of beauty!
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#763 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

I like the uniform thickness of it, which is something I have trouble doing without using a burger press. It's cooked perfectly as well, although I generally prefer a kaiser bun to an onion bun, but that is just a matter of taste!

Chris, how do you make spicy ketchup?
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#764 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:14 AM

Thank you, you lovely, complimentary souls! :)

Marlene: Generally (unless unavailable to me, like camping, or some other manly pursuit), I cook burgers on the stove. I always sear and finish in a 350 oven. For example; this burger (and I timed so that I could instruct someone else on cooking times) was 5 minutes on the first side in a cast iron pan heated over medium heat (or a "6" on an electric oven) with a thin layer of peanut oil. Flip, and give it 4 minutes on the second side. Finish in the oven for 6-7 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes tented with foil. I typically use a 75:25 proten:fat ratio. But lately, I've just been using ground brisket with AWESOME results. Find a chunk of brisket that looks tasty in your meat section and has a nice amount of fat (use your discretion here -- a brisket with an enormous fat cap will obviously be far more than 25% fat) and take it to the butcher and ask him to grind it up for you. If it has too much fat, ask him to remove some of it.

And voila - you're left with what you see in the photo. I also prefer kaiser buns for burgers, but didn't have any. :(

Recipe for Spicy Homemade Ketchup

#765 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for putting the recipe up!

I have never pan seared burgers. I think I need to try that!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#766 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Mr. PixelChef,

(Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway) Is that a finer grind for the meat than usual? I don't think I've ever seen a burger with that smooth an internal texture. Second question, does the fineness of the grind have any influence on the cooking or taste?

Thanks,
SKip
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#767 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

I'll just echo everyone else's comments and say that your burger looks great, pixelchef! I think I sense the beginning of the next informal Cooks Korner cook-off. Yesterday it was egg salad, today it's gonna be burgers!

(I bet I could put canned chipotles in burgers, too...)
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#768 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

Indeed, a lucious-looking burger, pixel. For super quick spicy ketchup, mix your regular supermarket ketchup with sriracha. I love that stuff on tots.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#769 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

Thanks, guys!

Corgi -- aha! Someone noticed! The texture you see there is actually contrary to my usual burger style. I usually use a coarse grind, or even hand chop my beef on occasion. That is simply all I had in the fridge. It was originally going to be used in gyros, but never made it that far. And I'm over my 48-hour gyro desire. I'd rather eat burgers every day.

I'm all for an official burger cook-off. *smirks*

Dana's quick-fix spicy ketchup is something I very often do, and most members of my immediate family subscribe to. It's delicious, and instant. Try adding a few dashes of fish sauce to it as well for a bit more asian influence.

Edited by pixelchef, 10 May 2007 - 10:09 AM.

#770 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

My photography sucks! :angry: But I'm posting anyway. As Matthew suggested, I'm joining the burger bandwagon.

I softened (lightly sautéed) some minced garlic and added it to the 75/25 hamburger (PixelChef's recommended ideal lean/fat ratio) along with some chopped basil, salt and pepper and Spanish Paprika. I divided each patty in half and re-formed them around a nice chunk of Danish blue cheese. I seared and roasted them exactly as PixelChef described in his preparation post earlier. While the patties were roasting I fried up some bacon and cut up a couple of nice slices of onion.

Posted Image

Thank you, Mr. PixelChef, it turned out great. :D And I do love these Terra Blue and Red and Striped Vegetable Chips! :wub:

I like my burger a tiny bit rarer than it came out. So next time I'll maybe only put it in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes.

Oh, on the bottom part of the bun, I swiped a bit of a dressing made of the same Danish blue cheese and put an onion slice on top of it. How I love juicy, messy hamburgers.

Posted Image

Edited by Corgi Man, 10 May 2007 - 06:33 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#771 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

I will not be making burgers until maybe Sunday as we're away starting tomorrow for a couple of days.

Nice burger though, Skip. I prefer my cheese on top rather than in my burger, but it seems to have worked well!

Tonight we'll either be getting take out fish and chips or I'll be making shish kebabs. I've got some tenderloin cubes marinating in a teriyake sauce. It will depend on what time hubby comes home. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#772 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

Nice burger though, Skip. I prefer my cheese on top rather than in my burger, but it seems to have worked well!

I wouldn't turn one down either way, cheese on top or inside, or sometimes melted on each half of the bun. :D I was just doing this for the variety of preparations that I'm anticipating we'll see here. Of course if I were eating this without slicing it in half for a photo not all of the cheese would have oozed out at once, but it does make a pretty sight. As stuffed as I still am at the moment :wacko: I can't help thinking about variations and I just thought about a nice rare burger topped with chili, grated cheddar and chopped onions, just like I used to get at Tommy's at 2 am when I was in college in LA at USC.

Edited by Corgi Man, 10 May 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#773 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

I did a dish of 'what needs to be used up before it goes bad' with chicken thighs, tomatoes, a jalapeno with some rice and a bag-o-salad.
Tasted pretty good, and got rid of those thighs and that tomato!
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#774 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

I doubt burgers will appear at our place for a few days either. I tend to keep mine simple lately to let the flavour of my favourite Cumbrae beef shine shine through. Lettuce, onion, tomato and a dab of mustard. Burger cooked to medium rare, garlic, salt and a couple extras in the burger. Damn. I'm hungry again.

#775 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

I doubt burgers will appear at our place for a few days either. I tend to keep mine simple lately to let the flavour of my favourite Cumbrae beef shine shine through. Lettuce, onion, tomato and a dab of mustard. Burger cooked to medium rare, garlic, salt and a couple extras in the burger. Damn. I'm hungry again.

Yes, but you're always hungry. :P

Gosh, you are all a suggestible bunch, aren't ya? :P

OK, I have a confession to make: I've never knowingly eaten a hamburger that was not well done.

I'm a little worried about dying of E. coli poisoning. :blink: How do I minimize this risk?

I know that using store-bought pre-ground beef is a bad idea. Is there anything else I need to worry about? Are other cuts of grocery store-grade beef a risk? I have a grinder at home, so I can grind it "to order," so to speak.

And if I can't get brisket, what's my next best choice?

Matthew, it took me years to be able to eat a burger done medium. I can't go much past that. I also don't subscribe to the new thinking that pork can be eaten pink.

I use ground beef from Costco most often, and I do cook it to medium for me, and medium well for hubby. If you can't get brisket, (and I rarely can), go for chuck or blade as they call it here.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#776 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

Ok, I think we need to take this to a new thread on Food Safety, which I shall create momentarily.

Edited to add, I have created the thread here. Please continue any food safety issues over there, thanks! :)
cookskorner@gmail.com

#777 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

I will be cooking a beautiful pork roast this weekend, using some special smoked pork belly for lardons. Marlene and her husband will be joining us. In case any photos get posted please note that I will be cooking the pork a bit more than l I usually do. The last time i served them pork tenderloin, cooked to medium or so it didn't go over so well! :lol: :lol:

#778 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

Did I hear you say your camera is working again? :P
cookskorner@gmail.com

#779 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

No cooking dinner tonight. We're invited to a sort of pot luck birthday party. What course was I assigned?
Main course, salad, sides, all of which I'm at least competent... No, I was assigned the cake! (and some of you realize from my earlier posts that this is not one of my strong points.) And I was told, "No chocolate." Hey! Dessert is synonymous with chocolate to me!

Luckily I remembered that the June FOOD AND WINE had a recipe that interested me on p. 146 for Spice Cake with Bourbon and Pecan Frosting. Well, bourbon is one of those things that is right up there with chocolate in Skip's Favourite Pleasures. So I made it. By the way, I think I've taken a step forward in assembling a cake. I also put ground pecans on top, which was not in the recipe. (OMG, the photograph on the site makes them look like pencil shavings! They don't look that way on the full size picture on my computer!)

Posted Image

Maybe this is better.

Posted Image

Edited by Corgi Man, 11 May 2007 - 01:47 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#780 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

For what it's worth, Skip, I thought it looked like brown sugar when I first saw it. Ground nuts (though not ground groundnuts) is good, too!

Why didn't you make that neat-looking Lady Baltimore cake again?
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users