Down The Shore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

We have just gotten back from our place "down the shore" as they say here in New Jersey. With the rate of exchange as favorible as it is I thought you might like to see a little bit about what we do when we relax. Some of you have your lake homes or rv's we have our condo unit.

We purchased a second floor ocean front studio unit that is rented when we aren't there for some income at The Astronaut Motel. This is actually one of the few of the motels built back in the 1950's and 1960's that are left standing. One of our neighbors. Notice the faintly polynesian theme.

Posted Image

Many have been sold, torn down and rebuilt as $1 million dollar condos. But there is a group that is trying to preserve motels like ours called theDoo Wop Preservation Society.

This is my little corner kitchen. At the end of next year this will be replaced and expanded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

While Johnnybird was unloading the car i grabbed my sister-in-law and headed for the Acme to supply up.

Posted Image

Supplies in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time for a reward.

Posted Image
Engineer + Hunger = Chain Restaurant
Johnnybird

#2 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

Sunday morning and I HAVE to get the newspapers and a coffee so off I go to a south Jersey institution: WAWA. I love WAWAs. Yeah, it's kinda fast food but they make really killer coffee - and they are open when I get up and get going.

Posted Image

When was the last time you saw one of these?

Posted Image

Breakfast is the first item to take care of so breakfast for 4. Scrambled eggs, toast and fried potatoes. I also had made some cranberry lemon and pumpkin raisin loaves.

Posted Image

While John attended our owner's meeting I took my sister-in-law, Julie, and my mother-in-law, Liz for some sightseeing. First was a visit to Sunset Beach and the home of the Cape May diamonds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it was on to the gift shop for an hour and a half of buying <BIG SIGH>

Dinner was at a venerable institution down this way: The Lobster House. Unfortunately they were very adamant about NOT photographing in the restaurant and I couldn't even weasel pics with my camera phone.
Johnnybird

#3 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

The next day was more fun and games. A trip to the Cape May Zoo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back home for dinner and I found that the old grills from last year had been replaced by two of these babies.

Posted Image

Virgin grill!!!!

Posted Image

But not for long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The dinner choices were cheddar burger,potato salad, green salad, grilled brats, a nice buttery mash, applesauce or a salad of tomatoes and avacados with catalina dressing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm thinking there is a possibility of some really nice pork butt next year. At least Ed, our manager, thinks there should be.
Johnnybird

#4 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

The next day we said goodbye to the inlaws

Posted Image

and just kicked back to look out at the ocean

Posted Image

and shared a snort or two

Posted Image

Since the rest of the time was spent birding or in the rain the food was mainly sandwiches we could grab and take with us. Nothing pretty at all.
Johnnybird

#5 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

That looks like a whole big fun!!! how often do you get to go and how long do you stay when you do??
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#6 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

Dana-

we usually get 9-12 days down in May which usually includes the World Series of Birding and our wedding anniversary. John goes down for the fall owner's meeting and takes 2-3 days in October, just before we close. Actually our unit is fully rented the months of July, August and September and most of the weekends the rest of the time. For tax purposes we cannot use it for ourselves more than 14 days or 10% of the available rental time.

With those new grills i see some fun next year at cinqo de mayo....
Johnnybird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users