• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

I've just returned from a cruise as most of you know. The following is a lot of what we ate on the ship. I finally remembered to start taking pictures about the third day, so the first few days are missing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chicken Consomme with pancake Fettucine and chives
Posted Image

Chilled Mango and Cranberry soup
Posted Image

Garlic Shrimp
Posted Image

Parmesan Crusted Turkey tenderloins
Posted Image

The cheese plate
Posted Image

Chicken Drumettes from room service
Posted Image
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chilled apple soup
Posted Image

Salad, served family style
Posted Image

Cheese Tortilini
Posted Image

Grilled Pork Chop
Posted Image

Sirloin steak with herb butter
Posted Image

Chocolate Mousse
Posted Image

Apple Crumble
Posted Image

There are several more, inlcuding photos of the galley, as I got a galley tour, but they'll have to wait for a bit. I need to unpack!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#3 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

I spent 5 nights on a Royal Caribbean ship last week also, the food was incredibly poor. Braised dishes, curries, and some of the dishes that are served cold ranged from acceptable to reasonably decent. No cook with any pride would have let the rest of the food leave their kitchen. It's amazing how horrible some of the ingredients they are using are. On the bright side, I got to do some diving in Cozumel and Belize.

#4 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

We had the same menu one night as the first set of photos show. The five of us shared food each meal so we got to try nearly everything on the menu. The Chicken Consomme with pancake Fettucine and chives is a comically stupid dish - they take mediocre crepes, slice them into strips and throw them in a bowl with chicken consomme. The Parmesan Crusted Turkey tenderloins I was served had a soggy crust and the turkey had a rubbery texture. The only thing edible on that plate were the two giant tater tots. The beef and veal tortellacci had a mealy texture and a gloppy sauce. The slow-roasted beef shoulder filet was not bad for warmed thick-cut deli roast beef. The asparagus and brie tart was surprisingly good - it was one of the best things we were served during the trip.

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

The menus are the same, fleet wide, but I've noticed a big difference from ship to ship in taste, even though they aren't allowed to deviate from the recipes. I knew you weren't going to like the food, but then we know you're a purist when it comes to food. :P The food is decent. It isn't gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but I can generally find something I like and some things were better than others, although the turkey things weren't very good. :D

More tomorrow when I get some time.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

It isn't about being a purist, the food is ill conceived and poorly prepared. It's the sort of food I'd expect to find in a college cafeteria.

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hello folks, just checking in from the high seas. :D

Dave, I want to tell you that you would not find much to complain about regarding the food on this line so far. We are traveling in Queens grill class which might make a difference, but so far, things like rack of lamb, cherries jubilee made table side, sweetbreads, chicken livers and other things have been outstanding.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#8 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

Okay Marlene -- you ate sweetbreads?!?! Woo hoo!! Glad you're enjoying the food.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#9 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

I didn't say I ate them, I said they were on the menu. :P Along with frogs legs, escargo, (spelled wrong, I know), caviar and several other wonderful things. With a day's notice they would make stuff for you that wasn't on the menu. A lot of food was finished tableside and the baked alaska, cherries jubilee and chateaubriand were cooked completely table side.

I have all the menus, and will post some highlights when I finally get them unpacked. I did not however, take any pictures of food this trip.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#10 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

I didn't say I ate them

Uh...

so far, things like rack of lamb, cherries jubilee made table side, sweetbreads, chicken livers and other things have been outstanding.

The sweetbreads were outstanding in what sense? Fantastic menu font! Beautiful spelling! Subtle use of punctuation!

#11 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Ok, so I took our neighbour's word on how good the sweetbreads were. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#12 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Ok, so I took our neighbour's word on how good the sweetbreads were. :D

How disappointing, Marlene!
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#13 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

How disappointing, Marlene!

Not to me it isn't. :P
cookskorner@gmail.com

#14 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

Not to me it isn't. :P

We all have our limitations. For me, insects, brains (especially after the mad cow scare), home made chicken liver or pork liver, and a few others.
But I have tried them all, including sweetbreads, which are really quite bland and creamy. A nice silken texture, and no organ smell when prepared right.
I am puzzled that Marlene would not like them, or try them, when she is fond of calves liver. They are much milder, and come from similar parts of the calf.
What is the barrier?

Edited by James, 10 December 2008 - 11:04 PM.

"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#15 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

I don't know why James, it just one of those things in my head.

I love to cook, but no, I don't like all foods as I've said before.
Tell you all what. If it doesn't come up before, we'll be back on QM2 next Oct. and I'll try them then. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#16 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Have just returned from 11 days in Barbados. Four days at the beach in the St. Lawrence Gap and a seven day Windstar cruise. We had been on this line two years ago and had high hopes for the food. However, on the whole we found that it had slipped abit. There were three specialty restaurants and one of these was particularly good. Among the standouts were terrific lamb, duck and some really good soups. Lots of good fish, scallops and shrimp, well prepared with excellent sauces.
We were disappointed in the quality/quantity of the fruit at breakfast. Also the prime rib was tough and the steaks were nothing to rave about.
The crew is fantastic and as the ship only holds 300 not the frenetic pace and bustle we have experienced on the large ships.
Weather was excellent (80+ degrees). Now back to the reality of -25 temps and the threat of snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users