Farmer's Market

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

I am just back from the farmer's market in Gravenhurst, and there are real, field grown tomatoes. At last, tomatoes that taste like something.

Also corn, melons, green beans, peaches, red and yellow carrots, lots of herbs; it's a veritable cornucopia right now.

#2 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

I got my first basket of field tomatoes last week. They were wonderful!
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

I couldn't make it to the market today as the guys are working on our docks. I may make it to the one in town, but if not, I'll hit Gravenhurst next week for some real tomatoes. Finally. The ones we are growing at home won't be ready for a few more weeks yet.

And I definitely want beans and probably corn. And probably peaches and strawberries for the ice cream maker that will arrive this weekend.

Hubby will be here next week, so maybe he'll come with me to the market!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#4 Guest_SobaAddict70_*

Guest_SobaAddict70_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

My haul from NYC's greenmarket at Union Square yesterday: sucrine, heirloom tomatoes, basil, parsley, butter from Ronnybrook Farm in upstate New York, ginger jelly and hot spicy garlic jam from Berkshire Berry, baby bell peppers, mixture of heirloom chiles, la ratte potatoes from Lyon, Vidalia onions, Spanish sweet red onions, infused garlic white wine vinegar, lamb merguez sausage and a couple of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The heirloom tomatoes figured in tonight's dinner.
I'm doing either a whitebait flan or whitebait something that Smithy on eG suggested for dinner tomorrow. I need ideas for the sucrine other than salad.

I figure I'll either roast the potatoes in some duck fat or do penne with potatoes, sorrel and chives later this week. In case you haven't figured it out, carbs figure prominently in my current eating habits. :P

#5 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image
The haul from the market today was grapes, a 10 pound bag of valencia oranges (for juice), celery, eggplant, little gem lettuces, brussels sprouts, satsuma mandarins, cauliflower, fresh turmeric root (the carrot looking things in the bottom left), yuzu, meyer lemons, and cranberries. We'll need to do a bit more shopping before thanksgiving, but this is a pretty good start.

Edited by dave solomon, 17 November 2007 - 02:56 PM.

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Nice haul Dave. I wish I could get to the market in Toronto more often. I'll just have to wait for summer and the markets at the cottage again.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

Dave, that's a beautiful picture.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#8 Guest_SobaAddict70_*

Guest_SobaAddict70_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

RAMPS!!! are here at USGM. Get them while you can because they won't be around for long.

Posted Image

Ramps are another name for wild leeks. They typically smell like they've been soaking in deer piss with onions and month-old socks thrown in. Don't let the odor scare you away. Cooked ramps are a thing of beauty.

Scott Conant, the executive chef at Alto and L'Impero, has a recipe for ramp risotto. I must have been assembling the ingredients unconsciously because I have everything I need in my pantry. As a matter of fact, I made a vat of chicken stock this weekend. Guess what's for dinner tomorrow.

#9 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

We don't get ramps locally, they're one of the ingredients I miss from the east coast. They're available flown in, but I only buy them once or twice each season because they rarely look good after being shipped across the country.

Posted Image
This week at the market we got a bag of oranges, half a flat of strawberries, a couple of handfuls of calamansi, artichokes, celeriac, spinach, potatoes, asparagus, shelling peas, green garlic, and a dozen eggs.

#10 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

It looks like the farmer's market in Gravenhurst near the cottage will open May 18th, so I may have to wait till then to start getting some great produce. There may be some roadside stands opening up along the way though. I cannot wait for shelling pea season. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#11 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

We are going to check out our Mennonite market just outside of Coboconk on the way to the cottage. I save my egg cartons for them so have lots to unload.

#12 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

Madge - it's a nice market. Small; but for the area, it fills it's purpose. The baked goods (banana bread especially) are quite incredible. I used to live a few miles outside of Coby (on Balsam Lake).

#13 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

The local farmers' market is starting to pick up. I went extra-early this week, and here's what I got:

Posted Image

Clockwise from top left: Fresh spinach, spring onions, rhubarb, wildflower honey, Montforte chèvre, Montforte "Picone Goat Ash" (I think that's what it was called...), and a couple of bunches of asparagus.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#14 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Had a great morning on Saturday at the market. Came home with ramps, pea shoots, micro greens, fingerlings, jerusalem artichokes, welsh onions, king oyster mushrooms, and a couple loaves of bread.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#15 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image

After making my morning latte we went to the market.

Posted Image

A flat of cherries, some fresh shallots, a giant beet (for the arpege beet), some squash blossoms, a head of butter lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, a dozen eggs, some corn, Japanese leeks, and fresh red onions. We picked up some seedlings also - three Japanese purple eggplants, French tarragon, and an aloe plant.

It looks like very little aside from fruit is on the menu at our house this week.

Edited by dave solomon, 14 June 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

I love your latte art. What on earth are you going to do with all those cherries?!

I am looking forward to visiting the markets up here again once I get up here next week full time.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#17 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

It was twenty bucks for a ten pound box of organic cherries, how could I not buy that many? I've got a batch of almond/cherry ice cream cooling at the moment. French toast for breakfast tomorrow with cherries, strawberries, and raspberries and some of the maple syrup I've been storing in a jar with a few vanilla beans. It's pretty easy to go through a flat of any fruit when it's peak season. We'll probably make a cherry pie, cherry cobbler, eat a lot of them as a snack, whatever doesn't look like it'll get eaten in time will end up turning into cherry syrup to use for drinks, banana splits, etc.

#18 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

I paid $3.99 last week at the grocery for cherries that weren't even organic, shipped in from who knows where. :angry:
Those look beautiful, Dave. How lucky you are.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#19 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

our local market FINALLY opens tomorrow!! thank goodness.
Engineer + Hunger = Chain Restaurant
Johnnybird

#20 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Bought at my little street market this morning one pound of scallops, a good sized swordfish steak, two Vermont cheeses, one beer and one smoked and both delicious.
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users