• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

And so we begin. Construction started bright and early this morning, and I'll be documenting the process here. Some of it will even be cooking related. :D

First, the new island

Overall view
Posted Image

There is room at the end for two bar stools once the door is removed. There will be an archway between the kitchen and the new dining room
Posted Image

The spice cupboard at the end of the island
Posted Image

All of the cupboards hold pull out drawers
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The screen room. Now you see it:
Posted Image

Now you don't.
Posted Image

The view from the kitchen door. By the way, the kitchen is incredibly bright now!
Posted Image
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

After a day of construction, it looks like this.

Once they finished taking down the room
Posted Image

with the debris, garden, etc all cleared away
Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of that rock needs to be blasted, which won't happen till Friday, so it will be pretty quiet till then.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#3 Guest_Safran_*

Guest_Safran_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

First of all... Marlene, that spice cupboard...wow, labels and all!!! I am hanging my head in shame...

And the view without the add-on is gorgeous!

#4 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

The soil appears to be quite rich, lots of humus accumulated over the years. You're lucky to have a small garden space, rocks or no rocks :)
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

We'll be making sure we have some garden space for herbs at least when this is all done!

Today, they blasted. Yesterday, they came and drilled holes in the rock for the dynamite
Posted Image

They put up a frame around the patio door and the hydro for protection
Posted Image

And tire mats down over the blast areas
Posted Image

I wasn't allowed to be anywhere near the area while they were blasting, but this is what it looks like after the blast
Posted Image

Posted Image

Just big piles of rubble. I think there were 5 separate blast sites, but I am not positive. They're clearing out all the rubble now, so I'll take pics when it is all cleared. Next week, the footings for the foundation go in.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Marlene, this is really fun to follow your construction...especially when I don't have to be anywhere near all the mess. Great that we are having such wonderful weather. This certainly looks like quite the undertaking. I have serious kitchen admiration but that is what it is going to have to remain. Redoing the kitchen would be ridiculously expensive and other than being abit small there is nothing wrong with it.

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

A couple more pictures of the massives rocks that were left after the blasting on Friday. These all have to be cleared away, so that we can get the footings for the foundation started.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
cookskorner@gmail.com

#8 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

Marlene, my friend at Georgian Bay would be having serious rock envy. They paid God knows how much to have exactly the same rocks hauled in to make a garden sitting area looking out over the water. Looks fabulous though. Are you going to be able to use any of these around your property?

#9 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Madge, we saved a few rocks to build a fire pit, and one of our neighbours tooks some rock for his place, but otherwise, we don't have a lot of use for it here.

The rock has been all cleared away
Posted Image

Now that the blasting has been done, they are putting in the footings for the foundation
Posted Image

In the meantime, they were busy making our new parking area
Posted Image

We could have a car party out there now
Posted Image

And tonight, this curious fox dropped by to check out what was going on. Not the best picture, and I had to take it from the patio door as he was moving along at a pretty good clip.

Posted Image

The foundation should be poured on Friday. In the meantime, we had the electrician out today and the fireplace guy, which was kind of an afternoon's entertainment in itself. But that is a story for another day.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#10 Chad

Chad
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

Wow, Marlene, what an amazing project. Really looking forward to following its progress. And I, too, am humbled by your spice organization.

Chad
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com

#11 Guest_Safran_*

Guest_Safran_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

All that parking place...careful, Marlene, you'll be feeding a crowd!

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

All that parking place...careful, Marlene, you'll be feeding a crowd!

I very often do, up here. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

I think I missed it - is the addition going to be a dining area, or more kitchen? Either way, it looks like it will be fantastic.
Love the island, but I don't want to discuss the spices. I'm making a trip to Penzey's in Houston tomorrow, but even new spices won't help the deplorable state of my cabinets. :blush: :(
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#14 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

I think I missed it - is the addition going to be a dining area, or more kitchen? Either way, it looks like it will be fantastic.
Love the island, but I don't want to discuss the spices. I'm making a trip to Penzey's in Houston tomorrow, but even new spices won't help the deplorable state of my cabinets. :blush: :(

The addition is 4 rooms for a total of about 1,400 square feet. A dining room, a living room with fireplace, a hot tub room and a games room. There will also be a loft above the games room.

the will be pouring the concrete for the foundation today. That has to cure for a few days, then the ICF walls go up. I will actually be heading back to the city on Sunday (for the first time in 3 months) so I won't have any more pics (other than the foundation later today) until next weekend.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#15 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

The footings have been poured, and next week, the ICF walls start to go in.
Posted Image

Most of this is the wood from the trees we had taken down. But since it isn't seasoned wood yet, we also needed a bush cord of wood brought in for use this winter, when we get our wood burning fireplace put in.

Posted Image

As I mentioned, we saved some of the rock to build a new fire pit. Don and Jake's hubby did that yesterday
Posted Image
cookskorner@gmail.com

#16 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

I am impressed with how quickly your demolition and construction seem to be going. Projects in NYC are noted for constant shut-downs and delays. May it keep up!
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#17 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

I am impressed with how quickly your demolition and construction seem to be going. Projects in NYC are noted for constant shut-downs and delays. May it keep up!

We've been very fortunate with the weather so far, which helps! I'm sure that won't last and we will run into a few delays here and there, but it is supposed to be ready for Christmas. We ordered the fireplace and the wood burning stove for our current living room today. We currently run oil here, but we are switching to propane so we can put in a forced air furnace.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#18 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

We've been very fortunate with the weather so far, which helps! I'm sure that won't last and we will run into a few delays here and there, but it is supposed to be ready for Christmas. We ordered the fireplace and the wood burning stove for our current living room today. We currently run oil here, but we are switching to propane so we can put in a forced air furnace.

Marlene, are you getting a fireplace insert for your wood burning fp? We got one about 5 years ago and noticed a huge difference. Heats the room without having to heat the whole house. Your construction plans sound great. What are you going to do with the space that use to be your living room?

#19 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

No insert. The fireplace is more decorative than it is intended for heat. We will keep the current living room as is. The new one is intended to be where we gather to play cards, and hang out, similar to the old screen room. The table that we had in the screen room will go there and we'll add a couple of pieces of wicker furniture or something, likely.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#20 Guest_Safran_*

Guest_Safran_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ready by Christmas, you say...will you be having Christmas at the cottage??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users