• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:28 AM

For those of you in Ontario, has anyone looked through the fall issue of Food and Drink? I find this magazine to be hit or miss, but this issue has several things in I want to try including the butter tart muffins, shepherd's pie, short ribs and some really good looking chutneys.

For those of you outside on Ontario, you can find a good number of recipes from previous issues at the LCBO website.
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

We picked up the issue yesterday, and though I haven't had time to look through it in detail, the chutneys definitely caught my eye. I especially liked the idea that they're "small-batch" so you don't have to worry about processing the jars.

Also, the feature on mushrooms looked good, though I guess it doesn't do a lot for you, Marlene! :P
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#3 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:31 AM

I also picked up that issue a couple of days ago and found some stuff I am going to try. I love mushrooms so some of those for sure and the shepherds pie. The other day i made a shrimp caesar salad from a previous issue that was really good.
Agree they can be hit or miss. Some of them I go through and not one thing interests me.

#4 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

No, the mushrooms didn't do anything for me. :D Still, this issue is a pleasant surprise in terms of the number of interesting things to try! Let's post our makings from this mag here!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#5 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Could anyone gimmie a rundown of the recipes for this issue?

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

There's quite a number of them, but here's a sampling

Appetizers, Soups and Salads

Cheddar cheese soup
Mushroom broth
squash ravioli with sage butter sauce
Scallops shrimp and clams on Saffron mashed potatoes
seeded savoury mini scones

Mains
Curried tuna with walmuts and raisins
Polenta with sausage and rapini Venison and wild mushroom pie
Slow roasted lamb with herbs
short ribs
shepherd's pie
salmon with lemon, dill and arugula in panini

Sides
Braised escarole
gratin of belgian endive

Condiments
chutneys: pumpkin orange , pear, sweet onion and almond, pickled peach, apple plum

Desserts
butter tart muffins
chocolate crunch cookies
roasted pear turnovers
concord grape sorbet
apple rosemary galette with parmesan crust

and there's lots more.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Marlene, I appreciate it. More than enticing for me, that's for sure. Content-wise, this is by far the best issue I've seen. I will make a trip simply for the magazine!

I've had pretty good success with the things I've stolen from this magazine, but it's very rare that something grabs me enough to give it a second thought. This issue looks to change that for sure!

#8 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'd agree with that Pix. Most issues I can find one or two things that interest me, and some, none at all. This is perhaps the best issue I've seen for some time, in terms of things I'm interested in trying.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#9 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:17 PM

Butter tart muffins. Ok, these were good. Not just good, but pretty damn outstanding. I overfilled the muffin tins, so the tops were a bit flat, a mistake I'll not make next time. For those of you who don't have access to the Food and Drink mag, I've re-written and posted the recipe here

Posted Image

Posted Image

The recipe also calls for regular sugar. I'm thinking of trying it with brown sugar next time to see if it gives the muffin a more "butter tart" flavour.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#10 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Those are going on my list of "must try"

#11 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the tip Marlene. I will make these on the w/e and freeze them for my company next week. I am assuming they will freeze ok.

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

I'd be surprised if they didn't freeze well. I wasn't really happy with the flat tops, so I plan to make these again next week and see if I can improve them a bit. They sure are good though. The lad had one after school and pronounced them "totally awesome". :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Guest_rocler_*

Guest_rocler_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

i just made the muffins and got 8 from the recipe, i also used brown sugar as you suggested. im waiting for them to cool off as i dont like hot or even warm muffins. they are easy enough to make and take no time at all to cook, and its easy ingredients also.

#14 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Let me know how it works with the brown sugar. I got nine muffins, but I probably could have gotten 10 had I not overfilled the cups. The original recipe calls for oversized "texas" muffin tins, which I don't have and it says it makes six of those.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#15 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:15 PM

Those look wonderful. Thanks for the recipe, Marlene!

I agree that regardless, a darker sugar would make them taste more butter tart-like. I'm going to use Demerara. You might find that brown sugar behaves differently for you (for me, sometimes it does and sometimes not - I have no idea what dictates it), in which case, use Turbinado sugar. It performs consistantly like white.

Demerara Sugar

Turbinado Sugar

Edit: How many muffins does that recipe make?

Edited by pixelchef, 11 September 2007 - 11:20 PM.

#16 Guest_rocler_*

Guest_rocler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:49 AM

they were ok, i think the only thing that saves them is the maple syrup on top. not something i`ll add to my recipe file for work.

#17 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

Yea, I'm adding a topping mine too rocler, I thought that might be the case - thanks for confirming it for me! I'm gonna go with crumble of chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar. Then I think if you eat them with a sweet butter, they'd be really nice.

Edited by pixelchef, 12 September 2007 - 10:52 AM.

#18 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

I thought about a topping. Pix let me know how that turns out!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#19 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:47 PM

The short rib recipe from the magazine is cooked and is in the fridge for dinner tomorrow night. Here's what I have so far:

The ribs are rubbed with a mix of fresh thyme, cracked pepper, fennel seed sliced garlic and olive oil. And set to marinade overnight

Posted Image

The next day, or the one after that if you're me, scrape the marinade off and reserve the slices of garlic. Ok, the recipe doesn't actually say to scrape off all the marinade, but it implies it. Then do the usual browning of ribs

Posted Image

Then remove and saute onions and the reserved garlic slices
Posted Image

Add red wine and balsamic vinegar and reduce by half
Posted Image

Then beef stock and tomato paste.

Posted Image

Add the ribs back in, cover and braise for about three hours. The recipe and I part ways in a couple of places, one of them being the braising temp. It says 300. I never braise at that high a temp. I started at 250 and ended up turning it down to 245.

After three hours, remove the ribs:
Posted Image

And degrease the sauce
Posted Image
That's where we parted ways again. The recipe says to chill the meat and sauce together, then scrape the chilled fat off. Well for one thing, I am never successful at scraping off chilled fat, and for another, I always strain my sauce as well as degrease it.

Pour the sauce back over the ribs (which you've placed back in the same pot after you've wiped it out) and cover and chill. There's actually a lot more sauce than it looks like here.

Posted Image

First impressions tell me that this is going to be very good. There is a nice depth to the sauce that I don't get with my current favourite short rib recipe. I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#20 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Looks great, Marlene! I've been craving short ribs lately, with the change in the weather. I'll have to see if I can order some in through my local butcher. Then it'll be a toss-up between this recipe and Daniel Boulud!

Tonight, I made the Prune and Whisky Cake from the magazine. It was easy to throw together, and easy to clean up after, too. It's really more of a loaf than a cake, though, even after you brush it with syrup at the end. It's got lots of orange flavour from the orange zest, and the whisky-soaked prunes are very tasty. A little cinnamon or allspice wouldn't be amiss, though.

I don't promise I won't be having a slice for breakfast tomorrow morning. :ph34r:
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users