• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

The one thing (ok two things) that Calgary has lots of are liquor stores, and food mags of some sort. City Palate, Flavours (which tries to be an LCBO Food and Drink and fails), Avenue Calgary (mostly about City restaurants) etc etc. So Don brought me the latest issue of City Palate and I found that our local spice merchants are now offering a variety of bitters. I've never seen much in the way of bitters other than, Regans and Angostura.

http://www.silkroads...oducts/bitters.

Looks like you can order online. We're going to make a visit to the store as soon as I get back and see what this is all about. The last time I was there, there were no bitters. The store is located in a coummunity called Inglewood which has a bunch of fun foodies stores including the best Japanese knife store I've ever seen. Maybe I'll pick up a new knife.

But for you cocktail affectionados, take a look at the bitters selection and see if there's something that stirs your imagination!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I don't know anything about bitters. To illustrate my ignorance I thought Angostura was all there was. Occasionally we will have a Manhattan and I use it in that. Other than cocktails do you use it (? Them) for anything else?

When do you go back to Calgary Marlene?

Edited by Madge, 10 December 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm heading home on Wed, Madge. We'll see if we get back before spring. I don't know much about bitters but we have a shopping trip planned to Inglewood now to find out!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#4 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

For years, Angostura was all there was in most places, and it's still the most indispensable. But if you look at any contemporary cocktail websites, magazines or books, you'll see a wide variety of bitters called for in all sorts of drinks. My advice is to find the recipe first, then buy the bitters; I have a few bottles that I've bought and used only once or twice because I could never figure out what to do with them.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

One of the things I gave my husband this year is a book on Bitters. It's got a lot of recipes in it. Don has made a couple of things from it now, and he used some lemon bitters in a martini he made for me. It was really good.
cookskorner@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users