Tempura your Veggies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

I happen to love vegetables. Or at least most vegetables (brussel sprouts need not appear in my kitchen). Unfortunately due to the amount of entertaining and cooking for others I do, I have realised not everyone shares my love. Certainly some children are harder to please with vegetables, but I know a number of adults who are just as difficult. My solution? Why, deep frying of course!

Most recently a lovely plate of tempura vegetables:

Posted Image

My personal favourites are asparagus, eggplant and taro. There are also zucchini and onion in the above photo. These were done in a pot of oil on the stove, but for those of you uncomfortable and/or new to deep frying a proper deep fryer with a lid would work just as well.

Remember the different cooking times of different vegetables. Asparagus will only take a second, if you're doing yam or taro, slice very thinly and/or parboil first.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#2 Guest_TedH_*

Guest_TedH_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

Everything tastes good if it's deep fried :)

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

Everything tastes good if it's deep fried :)

That it does. Fried foods are most definately my weakest point. I can never resist them. Never.
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#4 Guest_gourmande_*

Guest_gourmande_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hmmmm.... this is where I differ. Of all cooking methods, deep-frying is my least favourite, especially when it comes to veg... :(

That said, my daughter "made me" partake in a mixed tempura appetizer last week (at a local Japanese restaurant) and I will admit that the shrimp and sweet potato were ok - the other veg were ruined by the process in my opinion.

It's not that the appies were poorly done it's just that I don't like battered and deep-fried food very much. :(

Thank goodness the appies were followed by lots of sushi ... ;)

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hmmmm.... this is where I differ. Of all cooking methods, deep-frying is my least favourite, especially when it comes to veg... :(

That said, my daughter "made me" partake in a mixed tempura appetizer last week (at a local Japanese restaurant) and I will admit that the shrimp and sweet potato were ok - the other veg were ruined by the process in my opinion.

It's not that the appies were poorly done it's just that I don't like battered and deep-fried food very much. :(

Thank goodness the appies were followed by lots of sushi ... ;)

Ok, I'll tell you what. I'll take your tempura, you can have my sushi! :)
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#6 Guest_Lyndell_*

Guest_Lyndell_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Love tempura veggies. And my fave is stuffed zucchini blossoms. Because I do most of my deep frying in a wok now, it's easy enough to do just for the two of us. And, depending on what I'm frying, I usually use either leaf lard, duck, or chicken fat...yu-um!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users