• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Marlene (and everyone else who has thoughts here),

When you fry things like your onion rings or your french fries, etc. Do you ever re-use the oil? If so, do you strain it? Sometimes I read throw it all out, or keep it for another fry or two, or you can keep it depending what you fry in it and as long as you didn't go above a certain temperature. If you deep-fry often, throwing out all the oil seems like an expensive proposition.

Also, I would love to know members' preferences for which oils they use for frying different foods or recipes, etc.

Skip

Edited by Corgi Man, 29 March 2007 - 01:21 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#2 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

I strain my fats through a coffee filter and reuse them. French fries are best in duck or goose fat, though beef fat works well also it just stinks up the kitchen. For most everything else I use canola.

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

It depends on what I'm frying. Certainly I can resuse the french fry oil for the onion rings tonight. I do strain it. although with the fries it didn't get very dirty. When I fry chicken I will strain it and chill it and reuse it for more chicken or another protein. I probably wouldn't use that oil for fries.

Duck fat, beef fat etc are all lovely to fry in, but here it's hard to get the quantities you need at a reasonable price. I like peanut oil for frying but that can also be expensive. Grapeseed is great for shallow frying and of course, there's always canola which is what I used last night.
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#4 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

What Marlene said! I really like peanut oil for frying chix and the like and I can often find it at Costco.......
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

Costco used to carry huge containers of peanut oil, but I haven't seen them for ages.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

I use peanut oil almost exclusively, primarily because its high smoke point means that it's the least likely to catch on fire. Also, I like the taste.

As for reusing the oil, my deep fryer is a T-Fal that drains and filters the oil into a plastic tub. We store the tub in the fridge and reuse the oil until it starts to break down. I imagine it probably takes on off flavours from some of what we cook in it, but we don't care that much unless we're cooking for guests.

And the deep fryer itself goes into the dishwasher, too. :wub:
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

I'll resuse the oil from the french fries, then onion rings tonight, for potato chips on Saturday. After that we'll see. Once I drag out my deep fryer I tend to fry things for a while so I get some use out of the oil.

I have the Waring Pro deep fryer and everything except the element goes in the dishwasher which is really nice.
cookskorner@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users