• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

Well, it's not a holiday, but there are people out there who make a very big deal of this day. I can't tell you how many houses I've driven past all decorated up for tonight. The lad is far too old to go out trick or treating these days.

For a while, we had themed Halloween parties for him and his friends, but even that has passed and now, we just go out for dinner. :D

I know Kim made those really cute cupcakes for tonight. Anyone else doing any themed baking or dinners for All Hallowed Eve?
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Guest_Stoorie_*

Guest_Stoorie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

In the UK this event was traditionally celebrated by kids getting dressed up
and going round local houses where they were invited in to entertain
the householders by reciting a peom, telling a joke or even singing a song.

In some houses people would set up some games like bobbing for apples
and such like.

It was quite a quaint and civilized time where everyone enjoyed themselves
eating toffee apples and sweets even accquiring some some loose change
for the best costumes or entertainers. All done with the minimum of fuss
or supervision.

The UK has now sadly adopted 'Trick or Treating' (no guesses of the country
of origin necessary) when kids that you've never clapped your eyes on
come to your door yelling 'trick or treat' expending handfuls of candy,
chocolate and money.

If you do not answer the door or if the goodies handed over are not to the little darlings taste,
the front of your house is pelted with eggs and flour if you're lucky other stuff like gloss paint if you're unlucky.

The net result is that the traditional values have been lost in favour of levels of commercially
driven greed 2nd only to Christmas and it's related abominations.

The majority of the decent population in the UK now hate this 'festival' with a passion
and distance themselves from it.

To give you a further flavour of the way this event is going,
our local police have given warnings to householders not to react to any acts of vandalism
as they will be arrested for child harrassment.

We thank you.

#3 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

I live in a 46 story high-rise. Our building has a policy where if you are welcoming trick-or-treaters at your door you post this orange pumpkin sticker that management provided just below your door-bell button. Trick-or-treating is permitted only from 5:30 to 9:00. It is well organized and fairly low key. The kids I would say range from 2 to 12 years of age and often are unbelievably well costumed - Hey! I live in a building full of actors, singers and dancers!. Tonight for a few hours we will open our door, put up a dog barrier so our corgis aren't running up and down the hall trying to herd the costumed children, and offer the usual commercial confections. Homemade cookies, sweets, etc. are not allowed.

Edited by Corgi Man, 31 October 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#4 Guest_Stoorie_*

Guest_Stoorie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like what it was like 20 or so years ago here.

Sad reflection on today's society when you can't give out homemade treats.

I suppose it's down to paranoia and little Johnny's 120 or so allergies :rolleyes:

#5 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

I just realized I don't have anything for Steve to pass out to the little spooks tonight. (I'll be at work) I guess I'd better make a run to the store. We have a few neighborhood kids, and a few kids who are too old to be out T or T-ing. If they're taller than me, I always ask them, "aren't you too old for this?" They usually say, "yes, Ma'am" and hold out their bag. :o
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#6 Guest_Stoorie_*

Guest_Stoorie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

I just realized I don't have anything for Steve to pass out to the little spooks tonight. (I'll be at work) I guess I'd better make a run to the store. We have a few neighborhood kids, and a few kids who are too old to be out T or T-ing. If they're taller than me, I always ask them, "aren't you too old for this?" They usually say, "yes, Ma'am" and hold out their bag. :o

I have so many responses to this it would make your bag spin :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users