• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

Next weekend, is the last long weekend of the summer. We are having two dinner parties over the weekend, one of them at my place and one at a friend's. I need a little help with a couple of things.

We have (we think) approximately 15 people coming.

Nibbles and dessert are taken care of. I will likely do the warm cheese dip and others are bringing other nibbles. I'll be making a chocolate cake for dessert.

We're planning on doing two prime ribs. Partly because we don't want to cart them home again. :D A 10 lb bone in roast will go in the oven with some roast potatoes. The other 7 lb boneless one will go on the spit. I'll also do some mashed potatoes or a gratin I think.

I have two ovens sort of, although the top oven is only good for smaller things like casseroles etc, and a toaster oven to work with. The yorkie pans can go in the top oven to heat up. If I do a gratin, it can go in the toaster oven. When the big roast is done, the roast comes out, and the yorkies go in the big oven.

If I do mashed, they're on the stovetop and take up a burner. Gravy will take up another burner. That leaves me with two really small burners. So my problem is veg. What can I do for 15 people and how can I cook it? I can use the top oven once the yorkie pans come out, but then I need a veg that will be done in about 20 minutes.

Help! I'm trying to figure out timing and logistics here.
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Do you have a crock pot available?? Your glazed carrots, a corn medley or southern-style green beans could be made ahead and just kept warm in one.
You could just make a salad and not cook the veg at all. Or make a marinated-type salad, although that's more picnic-y type food than prime rib type.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Brilliant Dana! I'd forgotten about the crockpot glazed carrots! I'll get Don to bring the crockpot up from the city.

Oh and I still need a dessert for 15 people for the next night. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#4 Guest_Gordon_*

Guest_Gordon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

Brilliant Dana! I'd forgotten about the crockpot glazed carrots! I'll get Don to bring the crockpot up from the city.

Oh and I still need a dessert for 15 people for the next night. :D

Roasted Stone fruit over vanilla ice cream
Cheese plate with dessert wine

I'm very good at utilizing the oven as a warmer. After the Prime Ribs come out - warm/prepare whatver veg you need and dump them in some cheap aluminum pans to stay warm. Always works like a charm for me.

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

Keep in mind the dessert for the second night must be portable, and pretty much made ahead of time.

As far as using the oven as a veg warmer, as soon as the Prime Rib comes out, the Yorkies have to go in, so I can't use the oven to keep things warm.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

It's also highly unlikely that the drippings will produce enough to make gravy for 15 people. I'm thinking of making beef gravy the day before, but I'm not sure how to go about this one. Turkey gravy ahead of time is easy. Buy turkey wings, simmer etc. Any clues on that one folks? I've got lots of beef stock.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Do you have a crock pot available?? Your glazed carrots, a corn medley or southern-style green beans could be made ahead and just kept warm in one.
You could just make a salad and not cook the veg at all. Or make a marinated-type salad, although that's more picnic-y type food than prime rib type.

A vegetable medley can be slow-roasted in foil w/spit roast before assembling in a cock pot. Is it a BBQ boneless rib? If so, extra space can be used for a foil medley.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#8 Guest_Gordon_*

Guest_Gordon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

Keep in mind the dessert for the second night must be portable, and pretty much made ahead of time.

As far as using the oven as a veg warmer, as soon as the Prime Rib comes out, the Yorkies have to go in, so I can't use the oven to keep things warm.

I brought this to a party once. Fruit was done and I brought the ice cream with me. Nuked the fruit and spooned it over the ice cream in those little clear cups and served. Maybe cupcakes? I've also done mini peach crumbles in muffin cups too.

#9 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

The corn is so great right now, how about cobs wrapped in foil and on the BBQ for about 20 min.

#10 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

The corn is so great right now, how about cobs wrapped in foil and on the BBQ for about 20 min.

Corn wrapped in foil ends up steamed if you throw it on the grill. I prefer to peel the husk back, remove the silk and wrap the husk back around each ear then throw them directly on the grill.

#11 Guest_rocler_*

Guest_rocler_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

for dessert do individual Paris Brests.

pate a choux, praline creme patissiere, whipped cream, and a dusting of icing sugar.

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Ok, lets see. I can't do veggies or corn on the grill as there will be a water pan, and another pan on the grill to catch drippings, so no room.

Here's what I'm thinking.

One prime rib on the grill, probably the boneless one on a spit. The other, bone in prime rib goes on the smoker.

roasted potatoes can be done in the top part of my oven, yorkies on the bottom, which works out better timing wise as I can start the yorkies before the beef comes off instead of having to wait for it to come out of the oven.

Carrots in the crock pot.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

yes, Dave that is the method I use, but once the corn is prepped I wrap it in foil. I find direct grilling dries it out. Obviously, I wasn't specific enough.

#14 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with rocler about something involving whipped cream! Paris-Brests would be a lot of fun, and pretty unique around here, I'd bet. You can use your Thermo Whip for the whipped cream, which makes it portable and easy to portion out. My first thought was strawberry shortcake or some variation with other berries, but anything with whipped cream would work. :D
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#15 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

And how exactly does one make them? Is there a recipe somewhere you can point me to? :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#16 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:26 PM

And how exactly does one make them? Is there a recipe somewhere you can point me to? :D

I think the third and fourth photos of post #40 in this link will help you, although these are full size 12" Paris Brests. It's an impressive dessert and the filling was one of my favorites from pastry class. They are a project though! At least the components can be made ahead of time. You shouldn't assemble them too far ahead of time because whip cream fillings tend to break-down and make the pastry soggy.

Edited by Corgi Man, 25 August 2008 - 10:32 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#17 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hmmm, if you wanted to send me the recipes for these, I'd consider making them. They are impressive!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#18 Guest_rocler_*

Guest_rocler_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Marlene I do mine as a cream puff as I usually do them for tournaments and I have 200 to do for the 13th of september.

#19 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Ok. I was thinking individual ones. No praline paste to be found up here of course, so I'm going the strawberry and chantilly cream route. Humour me here folks. I've done almost no work with pate au choux. When you pipe cream puffs, is it a single piped round, then cut in half after baking?
cookskorner@gmail.com

#20 Guest_rocler_*

Guest_rocler_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

you make your own praline.

1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup almonds

put into a heavy saucepan, and stir to melt sugar.
(like for a creme caramel but no water)

when melted scrape into a well oiled cake pan or a oiled marble.
once hard break into pieces and put into the robo to process to a fine powder.

add this to your creme patissiere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users