Thanksgiving

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#41 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

We are invited to friends across the river. It is usually a feast! In the past the menu has read:

Cheese plate and bruschette.
Turkey and stuffing and gravy
roast potatoes
braised red cabbage
squash
brussel sprouts
mashed sweet potatoe
pumpkin pie
cherry pie
whipped cream

#42 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

This year, I seem to be way ahead of the game. Partly because it's easier to make here and take up to the cottage than it is up there. It doesn't matter how many times I run the dishwasher here. :D

I've made the chutney and the cranberry sauce. The french onion soup, which will be lunch one day this weekend or possibly dinner when we arrive, Thursday evening, along with some good crusty bread, is made. The topping for the apple crisp is made. This year, i'm going with a toasted pecan and butter topping instead of using oats.

All I have to do really now, is to make the mustard paste for the turkey and marinate it overnight, which I will do on Friday, then peel some potatoes, do the squash, saute the peas at the last minute and make gravy.

I can either make my turkey soup up there and bring it home, or just haul the carcass back here and make it on Tuesday.
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#43 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

I can either make my turkey soup up there and bring it home, or just haul the carcass back here and make it on Tuesday.

The drive back will be much more interesting if you've stuffed a turkey carcass in the glove box of your car...

#44 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

The drive back will be much more interesting if you've stuffed a turkey carcass in the glove box of your car...

:D My glove box won't hold a turkey carcass. Not even a mouse carcass when it comes to that. How they can make such a small glove box is beyond me. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#45 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

How they can make such a small glove box is beyond me. :D

Well, really, how big are your gloves? :D :P

Edited by Matthew Kayahara, 02 October 2007 - 08:00 PM.

kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#46 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Bigger than my glove box, trust me. :D

I think I should be cooking something, but for the life of me, I can't think what!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#47 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

My mom handles the turkey every year: which utilizes Alton Brown's method of brining and roasting found here.

She also does mashed potatoes, and roasted brussel sproutes with pancetta lardons and carmelized walnuts.

Homemade pumpkin pie with vanilla bean whipped cream.

And I usually bring offerings from a secondary menu. This year:

Cider-brined and pistachio/mustard crusted rack of Kurobuta pork (frenched).
Marlene's Potato Madelaines
Roasted Amaretto Acorn Squash
Spicy Stuffing
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust and maple balsamic drizzle

Edited by pixelchef, 04 October 2007 - 12:29 AM.

#48 Guest_srhcb_*

Guest_srhcb_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

Wishing you all Happy Thanksgiving from south of the border!

:D :D :D

SB (albeit only 80 miles south)

#49 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:46 AM

I could have sworn I put this post up last night. :ph34r: Anyway, yesterday we started with an afternoon snack of baked brie in phyllo served with the cranberry chutney I made. The chutney rocked and I will definitely make it again. Unfortunately, the picture of it is blurry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I set the table on the porch for us and Don opened our champagne. The small white container between the candles holds Maldon salt.
Posted Image

We wrestled the turkey out of the oven
Posted Image

mashed potatoes, sauteed peas and made gravy, then sat down to eat. I put the apple crisp in the oven to warm while we were having dinner
Posted Image

Posted Image

We had the two cranberry sauces. The lighter one is the same one I made last year which is grand marnier based, and the darker one is from Bon Appetit which is port based. The lighter one is tangier and the darker one tastes much more like a traditional cranberry sauce. We liked them both enough that I will probably make both of them again next year. :D

Apple crisp with the roasted pecan, butter flour topping with homemade vanilla bean ice cream
Posted Image

It was a very good first cottage Thanksgiving. Granted, we have enough food left to feed an army, but we both like turkey sandwiches and the carcass has been broken down to make stock and soup with when I get home.

We finished off the evening with a port and a game of cards and all was right with our world. :)
cookskorner@gmail.com

#50 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

Your meal looks delicious, Marlene, and your table is beautiful. I don't cook dinner at Thanksgiving; we go to our across-the-river friends. Instead, we have a drinks and food party on the Sat. of the weekend. I thought I would share a few pictures of that.

The chafing dish you can see on the table holds 2 kinds of chicken wings and meatballs in tomato sauce.

Posted Image

Some friends on the other end of porch. The coffee table has cheeses and smoked sausages.

Posted Image

Jalapeno poppers hot and ready to be passed around.

Posted Image

Another cheese plate on the counter between the kitchen and the living room.

Posted Image

And the sun did come out!

Posted Image

#51 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Your porch is lovely Dianne! I love entertaining like that, especially at the cottage. It just seems to suit somehow. The sun did indeed come out late in the day here for a while, now we are back to clouds and grey.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#52 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

Whoaa.... how many sticks of butter do you wedge around the turkey, Marlene? Is that 8 I count? And buttered parchment too? And bacon!? Yowzer.. . ......sorry, heart stopped. Is it stuffed with foie as well? Basted with duck fat?

:D

The outcome, of course (including all the sides) looks veryvery good. I trust the meal was a hit?

Edited by pixelchef, 07 October 2007 - 12:52 PM.

#53 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

It's one stick of butter divided. And it's cheesecloth soaked in olive oil. And yes, it was a hit.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#54 Guest_garlicscapes_*

Guest_garlicscapes_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

Thank you for posting these amazing pics!

Pixelchef and Marlene:
A technical question on the carrots as I am dying to try this recipe and still have some carrots in the garden - 10 minutes doesn't seem like enough time. Do you tend to cook them longer?

Thx.

#55 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

I do. I find it actually takes about 20 minutes, if the carrots are not blanched first. :)
cookskorner@gmail.com

#56 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image

I'm trying to get a head start on American Thanksgiving which is a week from Thursday, so I made dressing today and put it in the freezer. I'll defrost it next week, douse with turkey stock and bake it with the other sides. Which have yet to be determined. :blink:
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#57 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

Today we're starting our thanksgiving prep work but we haven't yet really figured out the menu.

We're doing the turkey in pieces - wing confit in duck fat, breasts deboned then wrapped in the skin and cooked sous vide, and simply roasted legs. While the wings are cooking the giblets are also going to end up as confit then mixed with turkey stock and powdered dried porcini to make the gravy. Everything that is being cooked in the circulator is seasoned and sealed in cryovac bags, the confit goes in overnight, the turkey will go in tomorrow around mid day.

We've got gougeres baked the first time and frozen, they'll be one of the starters tomorrow. Brussels sprouts need to be prepped, blanched, and chilled to be finished tomorrow. Pumpkin, pecan, and apple pies are coming together, ice creams need to be made (salted caramel to go with the apple and pecan pies and and cinnamon for the pumpkin pie). Something needs to be done with the fresh cranberries in the fridge, my preference is to put them in the compost bin but I suspect my family would prefer a different plan.

Today we'll probably also roast the kuri squash for squash puree, blanch the carrots and parsnips that will get roasted and figure out the rest of the menu details this evening. If time permits maybe I'll run down to the fish market and get something we can use for a ceviche or crudo as another starter...

#58 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

I drooled when I read Dave Solomon's description of a Thanksgiving menu way beyond my technique. I had ideas for this year's menu, but Tuesday a very close member of my partner's extended family died and priorities quickly changed for the week with the funeral tomorrow and the memorial on Sunday.

So our Thanksgiving plans were necessarily revised and our menu became a last minute affair for just for the two of us. I brined a boned and tied turkey breast and roasted it under bacon.

Posted Image

We had riced potatoes with cream and butter, simple bread and chicken stock stuffing, corn pudding (Madge made me do it! :P ), green beans, Grand Marnier stewed cranberries, and a gravy made from roux, fond and drippings.

Posted Image

We had a tasty and tangy 2006 Kendall-Jackson Estate Chardonnay. I will have this wine again.

Posted Image

For dessert I made a pumpkin-walnut-raisin loaf.

Posted Image

I served it with Haagen-Daz Egg Nog Ice Cream. Awfully good combo.

Posted Image

Edited by Corgi Man, 22 November 2007 - 04:34 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#59 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Skip, I am sorry for your partner's loss. :( Your Thanksgiving dinner looks wonderful. Tell me more about the cranberries and the corn pudding, they both looked great.

Did you bone the turkey breast yourself? Now that's beyond my skill! And everything is better with bacon. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#60 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Skip, my condolences also to your partner.

I concur with Marlene that your Thanksgiving meal looks lovely. I need to wrap more things in bacon...
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users