• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

Canadian Thanksgiving is right around the corner with the US Thanksgiving not far behind. Has anyone started planning their menus yet? Do you have large gatherings at the dinner table on T-Day?

I'm planning turkey of course. I follow the recipe in the Cotton County Cookbook and it's amazing I'm going to try my hand at making dinner rolls this year, although I confess, the dough will likely be made in my bread maker. :D I'm not a huge fan of squash or pumpkin, so possibly green beans and or broccoli, definately mashed potatoes and pan gravy. I haven't figured out dessert yet either. Thanksgiving doesn't seem to be quite as big a deal in Canada as it is in the US, but it's a reason to get together anyway and cook!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

I will be cooking for 30 again this year, with 4 burners and one oven! I have not yet had a chance to set the menu, beyond ordering the turkey!
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#3 persimmon

persimmon
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

My goodness Jake! Do you have to do it all yourself, or is it pot luck?

I'm going to be on a mini cruise with my sister on "the big day". Somehow feel I'll have to do the turkey thing either before the trip, or shortly after.
Jackie

#4 Guest_Teri319_*

Guest_Teri319_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi everyone, I believe this is going to be my very first post here!

My husband I just bought our very first home, so I really want to have Thanksgiving here. I've cooked before, but just for me and my husband. I think I've done pretty well, but the thing is, I was not under the pressure of cooking for guests.

I usually stick to the traditional, turkey, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole (hey, that one is for hubby :blush: )

I have saved past Thankgiving issues of Gourmet and Bon Apetite, so I will have to find those and start looking through them for some ideas.

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi everyone, I believe this is going to be my very first post here!

My husband I just bought our very first home, so I really want to have Thanksgiving here. I've cooked before, but just for me and my husband. I think I've done pretty well, but the thing is, I was not under the pressure of cooking for guests.

I usually stick to the traditional, turkey, mashed taters and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole (hey, that one is for hubby :blush: )

I have saved past Thankgiving issues of Gourmet and Bon Apetite, so I will have to find those and start looking through them for some ideas.

Welcome Teri! The first Thanksgiving dinner cooked in a new home is always special. Where is "here"?
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Guest_Teri319_*

Guest_Teri319_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the welcome Marlene. :)

I live in Long Beach California (So Cal).

pssstttt. Um, I have a couple of my past Thanksgiving turkey photos that I wanted to post, but I am having some trouble figuring out how to do that. Can anyone give me or direct me to the 'posting photos' instructions?

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

there are some basic instructions here for uploading and posting photos. Let me know if that doesn't help and we'll see what we can do!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#8 Guest_gourmande_*

Guest_gourmande_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

Dale and I will probably be camping - real camping, i.e., small tent, camp stove, campfire weather permitting, you get the picture... - so we will be "thankful" of whatever camp feast we can enjoy... and pictures will definitely follow ;)

#9 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

My goodness Jake! Do you have to do it all yourself, or is it pot luck?

I'm going to be on a mini cruise with my sister on "the big day". Somehow feel I'll have to do the turkey thing either before the trip, or shortly after.

Pot luck??? I wish! :lol: Seriously, I have others to bring the hors d'ouvres and dessert, the rest, I do myself. I am lucky enough to have a helper or two when needed in the final stages though.

The menu for this year so far is turkey, stuffing, gravy, potatos, french beans (likely with a compound butter), maple glazed carrots (Marlene suggested I get a crock pot and do them, this would be new) and sauteed corn with miso and scallions. I'm debating on a fourth veg, but think I'll stick with a salad based on the number of burners I have available. Oh, and I just found out my bil's oven (where we'll be having said dinner) died. He awaits a replacement. Too bad I couldn't get him to upgrade to six burners and two ovens :o .

I'm thinking camping, far, far away, sounds pretty good right about now.

#10 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

I'm getting a little closer to finalizing my menu for next weekend's Canadian Thanksgiving.

Turkey - recipe from the Cotton County Cookbook
Cornbread and sausage stuffing
Buttermilk and Chive mashed potatoes
Pan gravy
Homemade cranberry relish ( and yes, I'll have to have the canned jelly stuff as well :D )
Either glazed carrots in my crockpot or green beans in lemon garlic butter.
Another attempt as biscuits
For dessert, I'll either attempt an apple pie or make Ann's bread and butter pudding again.

Um, have I mentioned there's only three of us for dinner this year? :blink: I may be able to bring my mom from the hospital for dinner, but (a) my house is not exactly handicapped accessible, and (B) she's kind of on a soft foods diet so she won't be able to eat most of the above. So it's three real eaters for dinner.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#11 Guest_Safran_*

Guest_Safran_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

For dessert, I'll either attempt an apple pie or make Ann's bread and butter pudding again.

What about pumpkin pie? Not your favorite?

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

What about pumpkin pie? Not your favorite?

Hey, Welcome! Pumpkin is just not my favourite, nor does anyone else in the house really like it much. So no, we won't be doing pumpkin pie!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Well, my menu is set as well. It will be very, very traditional as this is what the majority of my other half's family likes.

Roast turkey
Sausage and bread stuffing
Potatos
Gravy
Glazed carrots (NOT baby carrots)
Green beans with a lemon sage compound butter
Sauteed corn with miso and scallions
Cranberry sauce

and perhaps a tomato salad of some sort depending on the garden. Some one else will be taking care of nibbles before, and dessert.

So, what am I forgetting??????

#14 Guest_Safran_*

Guest_Safran_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

So, what am I forgetting??????

Jake, what are you serving for wine? And how are you preparing the cranberries?

#15 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

We have just learned that it will be just we two for Thanksgiving. It will have to be a seriously curtailed feast since we don't want leftovers. We close the cottage that weekend and I have enough stuff to take home already. Any suggestions?

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I don't suppose a small stuffed turkey breast would work? You'll likely end up with leftovers with only two people. Grilled turkey legs? Grilled chicken? Baked potatoes, or a small potato gratin, cranberry sauce and some sort of veg? Not exactly traditional, but what the heck!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#17 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Jake, what are you serving for wine? And how are you preparing the cranberries?

What am I serving for wine? Whatever's left over after I'm done in the kitchen!!! Seriously, I have one bil and wife who appreciate really good wine, as do my other half and I, but they will be out of town this year. The rest of the family is not particular. Usually, everyone brings a bottle of something (thankfully not Piat D'or or some such swill). I will have a Gewurtz or a Reisling available, and perhaps a pinot noir, not sure yet. The day before Thanksgiving we will be opening some lovely older Brunellos brought back from Italy with my family, and perhaps a Tignanello or Sassacaia.

I'll do a basic cranberry sauce prepared with lemon and orange citrus, and peel. A bit of cointreau maybe.

#18 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

I'm keeping it quite traditional this year with the exception of dessert. I'm so sick of pumpkin pie, or some version of apples with dough. So this year I decided I'd make Calvados Toffee Apples. I'll replace the ubiquitous popsicle sticks with [clean] twigs from trees. I'm thinking it'll be a whimsical way to end the more traditional menu, which will be:

Turkey "wedding soup" (turkey meatballs floating in a turkey consommé)
Artisan whole-grain cranberry walnut bread (purchased)
~
Traditionally roasted turkey (garlic & sage)
Celeriac and onion confit pavé
Brussels sprouts with pancetta
Bourbon-glazed heirloom carrots
~
Hot apple cider, and the Calvados Toffee Apples.

Various Rieslings served throughout the meal (because I'm a Riesling fanatic). I'll be taking my family on a tour through Ontario, BC, Alsace, and Germany. And finishing with a fantastic Riesling icewine.

#19 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

I could live without the brussel sprouts, but could you elaborate on bourbon glazed carrrots? That sounds wonderful!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#20 Guest_pixelchef_*

Guest_pixelchef_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

I must admit that they are quite addictive. :)

Honey/Bourbon Glazed Carrots

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup water
1 lb. of yellow heirloom carrots sliced in half lengthwise (or one 16oz bag of baby carrots)

In medium saute pan over high heat, bring honey, butter, bourbon and water to a boil. Add carrots. Reduce heat to a strong simmer, stirring occasionally and turning the carrots over, for 10 minutes or so, or until the liquid is reduced to a glaze and carrots are tender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users