Passover/easter

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

If I may be so rude, Ron, how much are ya'll paying for crawfish? They're running 2.95 lb here.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#42 ronbeaux

ronbeaux
  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:08 AM

About the same but it will drop after Easter.

#43 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Wow, Danna,that sounds wonderful. Even if I don't make it for Easter, I will make it soon. That and a green salad sound like dinner for Alan and me.

I haven't made this, although I've printed it several :blush: times. corn bread pudding. I think it sounds terrific. I'd make it today, but I'm out of cream. Maybe I'll get to the store tomorrow and let you know...

#44 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Dana, I did the Ina Garten one once and it was one of few of her things we didn't like. It was my first time eating it and I haven't tried it since. I'll have a look at the recipe you posted Dianne as we love corn.

#45 Guest_crazeecat5_*

Guest_crazeecat5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

Dana,
I just made Ina's Sagaponack Corn Pudding for my book club last weekend and it was a big hit. I loved the addition of ricotta....made the pudding so creamy.
Madge....was that the one you made?

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

#46 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

We just completed our Easter dinner. It went extremely well. Tomorrow's a work day, so thank goodness for considerate guests.

We had some of the Japanese Berkshire pork sausages for our appetizer. Very delicate flavor. Excellent.

Main course was Pork Jowls Braised in Apple Cider with Sautéed Mushrooms. Our guests didn't know what they were eating and loved it! They even loved it after they found out what it was. This is some of the tenderest, tastiest meat you'll ever eat. Here is one served with green beans and homemade wide-cut pasta.

Posted Image

Here's a close up of a slice so you can see the wonderful meat after cooking - no mushrooms added to the plate yet.

Posted Image

Going backwards: The cider has just been brought to a boil before the braise goes into the oven.

Posted Image

The jowls and shallots are being browned in olive-oil and butter.

Posted Image

The jowls salted and coming up to room temperature.

Posted Image

We also had Italian Easter Bread. It was so complex with the anise seed, the raisins, the crushed walnuts.

Posted Image

We had Lemon-Lime Pound Cup Cakes for dessert. Excellent!

Posted Image

We had a Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Sparkling Wine (Calif. Champagne) with the appetizers and a 2007 Rosenblum Cellars Fess Parker (Davy Crockett) Vineyard Roussanne with dinner. Both were truly top notch!

Edited by Corgi Man, 04 April 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#47 ronbeaux

ronbeaux
  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

That was a fine looking meal!

Where would I get hawg jowls??? And how would I explain to my Butcher where he could get them?? It seems there is this list around here that the Butchers go by to order products and it is missing cuts like this. It is also missing Tri Tip and skirt steak, except when I go to the Mexican Grocery/Butcher and skirt is the norm. I spent 30 minutes talking to the Butcher at the local grocery and ended up showing him a picture of a Tri Tip on my Blackberry before he caught on and decided that he would have to break down a money making hunk of meat to cut one and decided not to do it.

#48 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, Ron. I was very happy with the meal. (It could have used a salad!)

I get my hog jowls from Heritage Berkshire Pork. Their pork is the Real Berkshire stuff and is worth the price. And thank (curse?) Marlene for turning me on to Berkshire pork. Once you've had it, it's hard to go back to "the other white meat" stuff. You might want to see if there's an accredited breeder in your state and see how he sells cuts.

As for the tri-tip roasts, my butcher doesn't work with whole cow carcasses - which is pretty much like most butcher shops in NYC. He orders the tri-tip roasts for me from his supplier and they come 5 or 6 roasts to the bag. They're usually about 2.5 lbs apiece. The bag runs around $85. Tri-tip is not a tender cut. Thomas Keller's method of seasoning, searing, roasting then resting before you cut against the grain like flank steak really works wonders with it. You may want to try your Mexican Grocery/Butcher for that. It is a cut used in California Mexican cooking.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#49 ronbeaux

ronbeaux
  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

Add one to the 'curse' section. I just have to try that cook. ??Thanks Marlene??

As for Tri Tips, I have cooked a few and did the reverse sear on them. My source dried up so I have been without for about two years now.

We can discuss in another thread.

#50 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

There is a problem with butcher counters and less used parts.
Most meat comes to the shop in large 20 lb cryovac packages, and the meat cutters (not butchers) cut them into small displays.
High priced butchers are no longer in demand.
There are a few, like Marlene's favored Cumbrae, that raise their own stock, and butcher the complete carcass on site, including aging.
Skip has a source that ships it in.
I often buy the less used parts at Cumbrae, because the price quality ratio is high. They have to move it out or make ground meat.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#51 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

Our Easter dinner was a success. Scot brought shrimp with two dips,figs wrapped in prosciutto and cheese. We made baked ham, slaw, potato salad, asparagus and corn pudding. Carole brought a cherry cheesecake and a chocolate cheesecake. Lots of laughs all round.

#52 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Your Easter meal looks wonderful Skip. I've never had hog jowls but they sure look tender. Yours sounds wonderful Dianne. Nice when the slaws and pot salad strt appearing on the menu.

We had 4 friends in for dinner. Appetizers were roasted brie, topped with finely diced mushrooms, garlic, onion and walnuts pan roasted with balsamic. A spiral ham which was really good and moist thanks to the tips on CK. Ina fennel potato gratin, roast asparagus and Ina's apple crostada with ice cream. The weather was outstanding but alas...we were in the city. Our first Easter in the 10 years we have had the cottage. Hoping to go tomorrow until next Monday. Apparently rain all week :angry: s

#53 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

We had our turkey dinner for Easter.

I made Challah
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turkey
Posted Image

Posted Image

Homemade cranberry sauce
Posted Image

My husband made the stuffing and served with mashed potatoes, gravy and glazed carrots
Posted Image
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#54 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

Skip – those jowls look fantastic. I have actually had them before, but not cooked in your lovely style. When I was a little girl, my grandfather let different folks who were having a tough time live in the old house on his farm in NC in exchange for help around the farm and house. I remember some of the best meals of my life with one family in particular. That woman would take whatever she had and fry it in a gigantic iron skillet, slice some tomatoes and onions, boil corn and throw it all on the table with a huge stack of Wonderbread. Whatever the meat was, you pulled it off the bone and slapped it in between two pieces of bread and ‘fell to’. Ambrosia! That was when I had hog jowls and they were some of the best (and most bizarre) things I’d ever eaten. I’m going to be showing Mr. Kim the Berkshire pork site and I’m betting that we’ll be placing an order soon! And the Easter bread is gorgeous! I’ve never made it. I assume that you bake it with the eggs inserted – how come they don’t crack? And do you then eat the eggs – I would imagine that they end up WAY overdone.

Dianne – your dinner sounds wonderful. We had shrimp, too – it just seems appropriate to spring.

Marlene - !!!!That Challah!!!! How utterly gorgeous it is! Not to mention the lovely turkey and dressing. We found some turkey gravy from Christmas in the freezer and now Mr. Kim is wanting to smoke a turkey. I’ve created a lovely monster.

Our Easter festivities started with Jessica coming over to spend the day.

Breakfast:
Posted Image
Baked eggs w/ cream and Cheddar, Neuske’s pepper bacon and my MIL’s hot cross buns.

Then we had 16 for dinner at 3pm.
Nibbles:
Posted Image
Olives, Liptauer cheese, crackers

Dinner:
Posted Image
Mr. Kim’s wonderful smoked lamb and yogurt/garlic sauce (which he talks about here), Russian deli pickles

Posted Image
My friend, Lisa, made the beautiful ham – really moist! Better than mine EVER is!

Posted Image
Rachel’s (from eG) incomparable chicken salad! (She also sent me the lovely serving dish). My favorite chicken salad.

Posted Image
Ina Garten shrimp salad. I managed to find wild NC shrimp and it was worth the extra cost. Deviled eggs.

Posted Image
Croissant and bread to go with.

Posted Image
Mr. Kim’s best friend made his family’s famous potato salad.

Posted Image
Salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette and herbed goat cheese.

Posted Image
Fruit salad – I just got what looked good at the store and threw it all together.

Dessert buffet:
Posted Image
Carrot Cake Cooky Bars, Pink Meringue Cupcakes - all meringue – and gluten free (for my niece who is gluten intolerant). I served them with macerated strawberries and whipped cream. Very good and very popular! Coconut cake.

And sugar cookies:
Posted Image

It was a lovely day - the first guest arrived at 3pm and the last left after 10:30! The mark of a good party, I think!

#55 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

Kim, you haven't lived till you've had smoked turkey. :)

What an incredible spread! It all looks fabulous!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#56 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Kim, there's SO MUCH INCREDIBLE FOOD!!! It takes way me back to the huge Sunday brunches at my uncle's house outside of Savannah when we would all bow our heads to say grace and my uncle would say (ironically), "Thank you, Lord, for this snack." :D

ETA: The eggs in the bread were a little tough-rubbery but had no over-cooked taste. I was able to use them for an acceptable egg salad the next day. And the leftover bread was pretty good as French toast the next day, too.

Edited by Corgi Man, 07 April 2010 - 02:06 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#57 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

Everything turned out great for my Dad's party and the Easter dinner the next day. Steve, my fry king, along with SIL Tyler, did a masterful job frying shrimp and fish for 22 people. Salads and a birthday cake rounded out the day.
Next morning, my dear sister in law Terri, got together the potatoes while I got the ham into the roaster oven, made a salad and prepped the asparagus. I'm usually not a big asparagus fan, but these turned out pretty well - only 1.50 a bunch, too!!! Mom had made a couple loaves of dill bread, along with the strawberry salad I talked about earlier. We were all quite full. It was a fun couple of days, got to see the grandkids (the 2 year-old is all into "I do it")
but am home now in my OWN kitchen, and almost as importantly, my OWN bed.

AB's Sweet Corn Bread Pudding is on tap for tonight. I'll let you know.....
Stop Family Violence

#58 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Kim, what a feast. You really go all out...no wonder everyone likes coming to your house. You must be exhausted after one of these marathons. Hopefully everyone pitches in to tidy up.

Mr Kim, kudos on the lamb. It looks wonderful. Now..what's next?

Dana your family Easter sounds lovely. It is nice to get home to your own bed and kitchen isn't it?

#59 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Everyone's dinner looks lovely - Skip, I love the braided bread with the colored eggs. It looks so festive.
Kim - you always have all those cute service pieces and nice looking tablecloths to go with every holiday. How do you do it with a full time job and everything else??
Marlene, I with I thought of turkey more often. Seems like it only comes up at Thanksgiving, and I don't know why. We all love turkey.

I made the corn bread pudding last night, and it was a big hit. (despite Steve's skepticisism) He loved it. I did make a few changes, and I'll add it to the recipe section later today. It's something different, easy and make ahead, would go well with grilled chops, ham or the salmon I served it with.
Stop Family Violence

#60 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I love doing this more than anything – I’d entertain (maybe on a slightly smaller scale ;) ) every week, if I could!

Dana – thank you! I am a pack rat and a deticated flea market, thrift store, junk shop shopper – so I have more stuff than I know what to do with. I do as much ahead of time as I possibly can (my family is used to not being able to eat at the dining room table up to a week before a holiday meal) – I set all the serving pieces out and put sticky notes in each to tell what food is going where (yes, I am a wing-nut) and cook ahead as much as I can. And the rule is ONLY the downstairs gets cleaned that week. If anyone wants to go upstairs, they are told its broken :P . I am looking forward to the corn pudding recipe. I love corn pudding, but always have trouble with it being watery – whether I use fresh or frozen corn, so I can’t wait to try yours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users