• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

It's Valentines today. Given my complete preoccupation with other things, I confess, I didn't really think about what to make. (We never venture out to dinner on this night).

Now, with all the snow out there, dinner is going to be whatever I can find in the freezer I think. So far, I'm tossing between rack of lamb (for Ry and I, not sure what I'd make hubby :D ) or glazed pork chops. I've got green beans and broccoli and I thought I might try the all crust gratin again, since neither of my boys got to try it last week. I could even make a cake since I've got all the stuff.

I am going to make Keller's decadent french toast when Ry awakes (more on that later in the Bouchon thread).

What are you all doing for dinner tonight?
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

We too will be eating in. You couldn't pay me to go to a restaurant tonight.....or work in one for that matter!

I haven't had much chance to think about what to make. I imagine we'll probably make a stop at our butcher or Cumbrae on the way home to choose something. The all crust grating sounds wonderful, I think that should be on my menu as well. I'll go look at the recipe/ingredients. Rack of lamb sounds great, but my SO isn't terribly fond of it either. How about I eat with you and Ry and the boys eat spicy whatever together, lol!! There's a romantic thought.....
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#3 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

We don't ever go out on Valentine's either. We are having smoked salmon canapes, rib eye steak and a potato gallette. Then salted chocolate on croutes a la Feran Adria

#4 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

I'm gravitating towards the lamb, with the crust potatoes. Probably the green beans with mustard butter. (although if my son doesn't wake up soon, we'll be having French Toast for dinner!) I've just discovered that I'm completely out of flour and almost out of unsalted butter, so dessert may not be a possibility.

Edited to add, I just found a chocolate mousse recipe that doesn't need flour or butter, so maybe I can do that!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#5 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

(although if my son doesn't wake up soon, we'll be having French Toast for dinner!)

You say that as if it were a bad thing!

We have a flight tomorrow morning at 6:30, so it's leftovers for us tonight. Not very romantic, but we'll make up for it in Ottawa and Montreal. Usually, we make some kind of seafood for Valentine's Day, and for the past couple of years we've had chocolate fondue for dessert. It's a little cliché, I guess, but it's so tasty and sensual. We just make up the chocolate sauce recipe from Joy of Cooking, pour it into our chocolate fondue pot, and sit down with a movie and a plate of fruit (and usually donut holes or similar cake-like product) and gorge ourselves silly!
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:16 PM

Isn't this storm headed your way? I hope it misses you so you can catch your plane.

Chocolate fondue sounds lovely. I've never made one, and I'm pretty sure Ryan would love it. Maybe I'll do that on the weekend!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Quick and easy chocolate fondue when you're strapped for time....melt a Toblerone bar, add some brandy or cognac and voila!

#8 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

Darn it- now I'm going to have to keep Toblerones on hand!
We'll be having a 2" T-bone and those crushed toast potatoes from last month's Fine Cooking. We had a small dinner party last night for a couple of friends from Zimbabwe, so I think that steak sounds nice and simple. Loftover pound cake and ice cream for dessert.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#9 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

Valentines dinner was for my son and I as my husband may well still be working at the crack of dawn :(

Rack of lamb, green beans in lemon garlic butter, all crust gratin potatoes and chocolate mousse:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
cookskorner@gmail.com

#10 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

Beautiful rack of lamb, Marlene. Got home really late from office so dinner wasn't until about 9. I did a rack of lamb with a fig, dijon glaze (also had balsamic, garlic, rosemary, pink peppercorns etc.), wilted spinach and duck fat fried pot. cakes. It plated beautifully, the lamb was cooked perfectly (pretty much like Marlene's above) although no dessert at our house.

I will definitely make the glaze again, it turned out better than I expected.

#11 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

Our dinner was a success. Alan loved it, which is the point I think.

We started with a plate of smoked salmon canapes.

Posted Image

Then I sauteed this rib eye steak.

Posted Image

With it we had a potato gallette (and a salad-no pic.)

Posted Image

Here is my plate.

Posted Image

And dessert was salted warm chocolate crostini

Posted Image

Edited by Dianne, 15 February 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Lovely Dianne! Can you give more information on the potato galette? I'm always looking for ways to make potatoes!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

Lovely Dianne! Can you give more information on the potato galette? I'm always looking for ways to make potatoes!

I will outline the procedure in the recipes section, but I likely won't get to it til tomorrow.

#14 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Dianne, quick question on the galatte. Can I use a cast iron frying pan? I don't seem to have a round flat pan and I'd rather not stick my non stick all clad in the oven.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#15 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Sorry to be so late answering. Of course you can use cast iron.

Anyway, you seem to have done fine without my input. Your galette on eG. looks better than mine. Now is that fair?

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

Actually, I put it up on CK first galette :D Along with some observations. Can I help it if you gave good instructions? :)
cookskorner@gmail.com

#17 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

So here we are at Valentine's day 08. This year Alan wanted scallops, so that is what we are having. With grapes and almonds from a recipe I have never tried before. We shall see.

Anybody else have a special dish in mind?

#18 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

It's going to be 'one of those days' for us - we'll be lucky to get a big kiss. No plans. Maybe I'll fix something special this weekend.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#19 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

Our Valentine's dinner is going to be one day late with another couple from the building joining us. It's all reprises of favorite dishes.

Gougéres with jalapeños
Garlic sausage baked in a brioche pastry (Saucisson en croute) with Dijon mustard and cornichons

Pear, pecan and crumbled blue cheese salad with a raspberry vinaigrette
Fresh bread - recipe still to be chosen

Timbale of eggplant and pasta and veal

Maida's Big Apple Pie (the one that looks like a bag tied up with a bow.)

We're having a Gloria Ferrer Wedding Cuvée or Stolichnaya Mandarin Orange (one guest's request),
a McManis Chardonnay,
a Rosenberg Zinfandel
and an Arrowood 2004 Special Select Late Harvest White Riesling - Hoot Owl Creek Vineyards
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#20 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm not actually cooking! I know we're starting with champagne (any excuse for me!) and after that my SO is taking over. I'll report back tomorrow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users