Fantasy Football Draft Dinner 2014

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Mike’s fantasy football draft was tonight (fondly named ‘The Geekfest’). Mike smoked brisket and I was responsible for the rest. For nibbles, I did Combos (the cheese filled pretzel things), David Lebovitz’s caramelized peanuts and oyster cracker snacks:
Posted Image
These were very good, but didn’t work nearly as well this time. They took forever – over an hour – and I never got a real glaze, just a glaze-y crumbly coating.
Posted Image

Mike’s brisket was fabulous:
Posted Image

With this I served his brisket sauce (sweet and tomato-y, but not cloying) and I baked CI American Sandwich Bread:
Posted Image

Also bleu cheese slaw, onion rings and Dana’s Broccoli Gratin:
Posted Image
So good on or beside the BBQ.

Posted Image
These are my favorite onion rings in the world and ridiculously easy. You just slice and salt them and let them sit until they are wet. Then you toss them with a combination of flour and cornmeal and fry. No battering, no frying station set up.

Posted Image
Dana’s recipe calls for cauliflower and broccoli mixed, which I’ve made before. The mix is my favorite, but this was really good.

Dessert was World Peace Cookies, Cracker Candy and Morgan Horse Cookies:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Everything was enjoyed and vacuumed up by a happy crew!

#2 persimmon

persimmon
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Everything looks delicious Kim. I misread the first line & thought it read greekfest - kept wondering which dishes were Greek.

I often have the same problem with glazed nuts. At least yours are shiny - mine can be very rough looking & hard on the tongue.
Jackie

#3 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Everything looks delicious Kim. I misread the first line & thought it read greekfest - kept wondering which dishes were Greek.

I often have the same problem with glazed nuts. At least yours are shiny - mine can be very rough looking & hard on the tongue.

Thank you! Got you on the glazed nuts - I actually sorted through them to make sure that there weren't any large sugar chunks that would break people's teeth! If you want truly glazed nuts - with a smooth mirror-like finish, try this recipe! I've never had it fail.

#4 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I've been wanting to try the world peace cookies for ages, I hear they are delish!!
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#5 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

They are amazing, Dana. Even cold. But a half hour out of the oven - they make you dizzy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users