New Year's Eve

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

We always stay at home on New Year's Eve and have a slow dinner . This year I am thinking:

Oysters and shrimp

Foie gras

Duck breast with a pomegranate sauce

salad

Cheese plate.

I would welcome some thoughts on the foie course. I plan to pan sear. What things should I serve along side?

#2 Guest_srhcb_*

Guest_srhcb_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

I know I WILL NOT be going out. In fact I HOPE to be babysitting my ersatz grandson, Zach.

If that does prove to be the case, whatever I prepare will include:

Black Olives (cheap canned ones will do fine)

Cheese (almost any kind)

The ability to be eaten out-of-hand <_<

(Why am I thinking PIZZA?)

Maybe for dessert we can make a Tickle Me Cake! :D

It will be a HAPPY NEW YEAR indeed! B)

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

We are having a few people over and I'll make a variety of nibbles. I don't have my list handy, but I'll post it tomorrow!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#4 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

A few of the things I know I'll be making include:

smoked salmon and watercress wraps
cheddar sesame bites
mini tourtieres
mini clafoutis
mini meatballs
beef tenderloin canapes
cheese selection
a small fruit arrangement from edible arrangements (again, time constraints!)

I'm ordering dessert platters because I just don't have time to make them this year. I know I've got one or two other things on my list, but I can't for the life of me remember them right now!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#5 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

I've changed up a few things here.

Ny menu now includes:

Roasted garlic shrimp cocktail
cheddar sesame bites
mini honey garlic meatballs
beef tenderloin canapes
mini tortieres
warm cheese dip
smoked salmon, watercress and goat cheese wraps
blue cheese and bacon devilled eggs.
various italian meats and cheese
Dessert platter
cookskorner@gmail.com

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

I ended up making everything on the list except the smoked salmon wraps. I simply ran out of time. I cooked from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and we were still doing last minute things as the guests arrived.

Beef tenderloin canapes with horseradish cream cheese. I made some without the cream cheese spread as Don is not a fan of horseradish.
Posted Image

Tortilla crisps. A last minute addition because they are dead simple and my husband loves them.
Posted Image

Spicy walnuts. I tried this at first with a mixture of pecans and walnuts, but the pecans cooked faster and burnt. :angry: So I threw it all out and started again.
Posted Image

Very simple veggies and dip:
Posted Image

Roasted Garlic Shrimp Cocktail:
Posted Image

Regluar Shrimp Cocktail:
Posted Image

Mini tortieres with mustard topping. I have quite a bit of filling left over, so today I may try using some puff pastry in muffin tins for tarts.
Posted Image

Sesame Cheddar Bites:
Posted Image

Honey Garlic Meatballs:
Posted Image

Blue Cheese and Bacon Devilled Eggs. The platter had this round spot in the middle so I just stuck a hard boiled egg in it for decoration. :D
Posted Image

Warm Cheese Dip. This was taken before I remembered to put the garnish of glazed pecans on it. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

A selection of Italian sausages:
Posted Image

Desserts were all purchased with the exception of the molten lava cakes my friend bought which I forgot to take pictures of.

Cookies, bars and squares and butter mints.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don picked up some basic cheeses as well:
Posted Image

All in all, it was a great night, despite the pouring rain that persisted all night. I have no idea what we are eating today, but I know I won't be cooking!

Happy New Year, everyone!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

Posted Image
This Prime T-Bone started out as:Posted Image
Accompanied by:
Posted Image
and this, the last bottle of red we brought back from Tuscany in 2001
Posted Image
Sorry that's sideways - I'm a computer moron.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#8 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:13 AM

Looks tasty, Dana!

Sorry that's sideways - I'm a computer moron.

And here I thought you'd just captured it mid-pour! :D
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#9 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

HAHA, I wish. :P That bottle was great, despite the relatively poor conditions I kept it in!! I have since gotten a wine fridge - which I love.

Marlene those sesame tortillia crisps look great, as does everything else. I'm collecting ideas for my parents 50th anniversary next year. How did you make them?
The tenderloin canapes are in the idea file as well. I'll be in charge of the food, and I want things I can make ahead and can be easily served by the high school kids I'll get to help.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#10 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

I'll get the tortilla recipe up in the recipe section today. They are really simple and they are my husband's favourite!

Edited to add, the torilla chip recipe is in the appetizer recipe section. The beef tenderloin things are great. The tenderloin is made the day before and chilled, and the cream cheese and horseradish can be mixed ahead of time. Assembly should be about an hour before you want to serve though, no more than that.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#11 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

Marlene:
I had tortilla crisps over the holdays and they were delicious. The recipe was similar to yours. Have you ever tried to freeze them? I was thinking of making a big batch and then just have them in the freezer for when I need them.

#12 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

I've never tried to freeze them. I wonder though that you might loose the crispiness when they thaw out. Possibly a few minutes in a hot oven would take care of that though.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#13 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

What if you were to make them up and freeze them before cooking? Butter and tortillas both freeze well, and you should be able to just cook them from frozen. It might take a little longer, but I think it would be preferable to trying to reheat them once they've been cooked and frozen.

And while we're on the subject, do you recommend flour tortillas or corn?
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."

#14 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Definately flour tortillas! That might work. Hmmm, possibly an experiment is in order. I've got friends coming for dinner on Sat. If I get a chance, I'll make some of these up on Thursday and freeze them and see how it works.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#15 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

Definately flour tortillas! That might work. Hmmm, possibly an experiment is in order. I've got friends coming for dinner on Sat. If I get a chance, I'll make some of these up on Thursday and freeze them and see how it works.

Will they withstand a vacuum bag feeze? That might keep them dry.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure they would, but it's worth trying as well. They're pretty fragile once they're baked.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#17 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

We did New Year's Eve dinner at a friend's place last night, and we were put in charge of dessert. Here's what we made:
Posted Image

Pecan brownies with cardamom-scented chocolate ganache, tangerine foam, Nutella powder, tangerine-cardamom ice cream and pecan brittle. It was a lot of fun to make and serve, and our friends all seemed to appreciate it! Now we have leftovers of everything except the ganache, so I think I know what we'll be having for dessert tonight, too.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#18 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

We did New Year's Eve dinner at a friend's place last night, and we were put in charge of dessert. Here's what we made:
Posted Image

Pecan brownies with cardamom-scented chocolate ganache, tangerine foam, Nutella powder, tangerine-cardamom ice cream and pecan brittle. It was a lot of fun to make and serve, and our friends all seemed to appreciate it! Now we have leftovers of everything except the ganache, so I think I know what we'll be having for dessert tonight, too.

Looks gorgeous, Matthew, even on a black plate :P :D

Cardamom is one of those spices I really don't know very well. It's so goldurn expensive that I tend not to try recipes that use it. I was given some whole ones for Christmas along with lemon verbana in stalk, leaf and blossom form, and lavender leaves, too. Any recommendations for their use?
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#19 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Actually, Skip, those plates are purple, not black. :D If I'd been serving this at home, I would have used our white rectangular plates (and plated differently), but since I was serving at a friend's house, I used what I had available to me, and I think it worked out well.

I usually buy cardamom in whole pod form, though we have some powdered as well for a certain recipe my husband likes. I typically use it for two things: desserts and Indian cuisine. (Oh, and it goes in the bitters I made a while back.) It's definitely among the more expensive spices there are on a per-gram basis, but I've never found it to be so pricey that I have any compunctions about using it! Maybe I'm just using a low grade of cardamom?

As for the lemon verbena and lavender, I've never really used either, so I can't help you there. I've had lavender in lots of baking, though, from crème brûlée to shortbreads.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#20 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

Skip, grind some cardamom with coffee beans, as they do in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Cardamom is an frequent but not dominant ingredient in Moroccan or Tunisian spices; I have never found it to be expensive like saffron or fennel pollen.
And of course, a standard ingredient in home ground curry, with cumin, coriander, fenugreek and pepper flakes.

Lavender is one of four leaves in herbes de Provence, and I really like that accent in my Xmas turkey sausage-prosciutto stuffing.

Edited by James, 01 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users