New Year's Eve/New Year's Day

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 ronbeaux

ronbeaux
  • Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

We had black eyed peas jambalaya and cabbage casserole with smoked cheddar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Happy New Year all! We spent New Years Eve at a friends with loads of champagne and a multi-course menu of Québecois dishes including Fondue Parmesan, Tourtière, Foie Gras and Fondue Chinoise. Being completely irresponsible and having a lot of laughs we didn't get home until 3 :blink:
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#43 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

When we don't go away for New Year's Eve, we tend to stay home. It's not a lot of fun out there on the road with the drunks and in this city, it is damn near impossible to get a cab that night or most nights during the Christmas season.

So thus, we are staying in. We have friends joining us from Ontario, arriving tomorrow, so I'm starting to plan my menu. So far, I'm thinking of the following

Afternoon nibbles.

bacon cheddar gourgeres
mini tourtieres in wonton cups

Main
Beef Fondue
homemade french fries (I bought some of the biggest baking potatoes today, that I've ever seen in my life!)
green beans or possibly a salad

variety of dipping sauces, likely bearnaise, garlic aioli, sweet thai chilli and possibly a mustard or horseradish based one. Haven't decided yet.

Dessert will likely be purchased from the Italian bakery, unless I get really ambitious and make something either carmel bread pudding or creme brulee.

What's everyone doing for New Years Eve this year?
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#44 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Working. :angry: Will get off Tues morning and not have to go back till Saturday night. Steve will probably fry some fish Tues. I'll make some black-eyed peas and cabbage when i get up. Just in case....
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#45 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

We are staying in as we usually do. We have nibbles spread out from mid afternoon on. So far: shrimp; chicken liver mousse and vacherin d'or.

#46 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Having skipped our traditional Christmas party this year because of our trip to Asia, we decided to have a small gathering for New Year's. Snacks tonight will include gougères, muhammara (walnut-pomegranate dip), prosciutto-wrapped almond-stuffed dates, smoked oyster canapés with horseradish butter on dark rye, cheese tray, and olives. We're also serving a version of Regent's Punch.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#47 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Due to being snow storm delayed a day coming back from Christmas in New Brunswick had to reschedule an appointment for tomorrow meaning no New Years at the cottage. First one we have missed in 13 years. Wwhhaaa :angry:
We will go tomorrow until Mon.

However had a nice lunch out with friends on Sunday and a few visits yesterday.

To console ourselves we had Grey Goose martinis and a bowl of Thai shrimp noodle soup with coriander, lime and bean sprouts.. The recipe is loosely based on one we got at a local restaurant that we have been tinkering with over the years. Think we have just about mastered it.
Champagne and a toast to another well lived year while watching the ball drop in NYC.

Today will cook a ham and make Bourdain's Potatoes Dauphinois and the corn with ? coriander, lime and cream that is posted in the CK recipe section.

May 2013 bring health, happiness and good food and good times to all CKers.

#48 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Happy New Year everyone! We had a small dinner party with friends for New Year's Eve. The menu is below - we ate FAR too much food :D

The Menu,

Caviar duo with Blini and Crème Fraiche

Kumomoto and Blue Point Oysters on the Half Shell

Seared hand caught Montauk Bay Scallops on a Bed of Bacon Infused Leeks with White Wine Reduction

Butter Poached Maine Lobster with leeks, Pommes Maxim and a red beet essence (the recipe is from Thomas Keller’s The French Laundry Cookbook)

Asian Tuna Tartare on Fried Wonton Wrappers

Pan Seared Prime Aged Rib Steak with White Truffle and Porcini Sauce

Foie Gras on Brioche Toast with home made Onion Confit and fresh Pomegranate seeds

Unpasteurised English Stilton

The Wines:

Nicolas Feuilatte Brut Reserve Champagne

2010 Pouilly-Fuisse

2003 La Fortuna Brunello di Montalcino

2006 Rieussec 1er Grand Cru Sauternes

1985 Taylors Vintage Port

1961 Chateau de Pomes Peberere Armagnac

#49 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Jake, that sounds divine!!
Stop Family Violence

#50 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, Dana! It was an incredible amount of food - but a lot of fun to do.

#51 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

A belated Happy New Year to everyone. I've been sick/recovering since the 27th, so I haven't been online since Christmas, I don't think!

Jake - that meal sounds stupendous! I'm embarrassed to say that we just did our traditional go to friends/eat junk food/watch football evening. We've done this with this same couple for years - since our kids were little enough to need a babysitter that we couldn't afford! Our hostess was sick and didn't show her face downstairs, but insisted that we carry on. I talked her college age daughter through that junky salsa/cheese/sausage slow cooker dip on the phone in the morning and the only things we brought were the emergency Costco Hors d'oeuvres that we bought in case we had a food shortage on Christmas Eve (we did NOT have a shortage!).

#52 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thank you Kim! Hope you're feeling better!

#53 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ok, so I'm a little late ot the party. Only the 2 of us, so we kept it simple. Porcupine meatballs, blackeyed peas and cabbage.
Posted Image
Stop Family Violence

#54 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I haven't made porcupine meatballs in AGES. Yum. Need to do that.

#55 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

We will be doing our usual birding on New Year's Day so...

hot tea for me
sandwiches - probably nut butter and jelly and turkey with cranberry on Portugese sweet bread with Miracle Whip
I have some dark chocolate cranberries and some dark chocolate

When we get home snackies ...... shrimp cocktail; pigs in blankets; grape tomatoes with boursin; smoked salmon with toast and tapenade.

W
Engineer + Hunger = Chain Restaurant
Johnnybird

#56 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

I love the sound of your snackies, Suzi! We'll be having our traditional junk food fest with our friends NYE - their girls have requested meatballs and I'm also bringing pepper jelly on cream cheese with Ritz crackers and veggies and dip. I'm sure that Knorr spinach dip and crab meltaways will make an appearance. NY day will be a traditional Southern meal - pork chops, black eyed peas, collards, scalloped tomatoes and corn bread.

#57 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

Naturally, I worked New Year's Eve, but service went very smoothly (apart from very nearly running out of our desserts), and I was home by 11:15, in plenty of time to ring in the new year with my husband.

As is a well-established tradition in my home now, I made Japanese food for New Year's Day. This year's menu consisted of inari-zushi (seasoned tofu bags stuffed with sushi rice), to honour my grandparents; when I was growing up, my grandmother would make them every year for New Year's Day. I also made two other dishes that are part of the standard Japanese New Year's repertoire (known as osechi-ryori): a vinegared carrot-and-daikon salad (namasu) and a hearty soup called ozoni. As far as I can tell, the main thing that makes ozoni different from soup served at other times of the year is the inclusion of mochi, a "cake" made of glutinous rice. Sadly, every year, several people in Japan choke to death on the chewy, sticky cakes. This year's death toll was reportedly nine. My husband didn't care for his, so I ate mine and half of his! My rendition of the soup had a double-soup broth (dashi and chicken stock) seasoned with sake, mirin and soy sauce, as well as shiitake mushrooms, carrot, Napa cabbage, snow peas, salmon, chicken, crab, yuzu zest and green onions.

Posted Image

Edited to add: The small round plate in the lower left of the photo is a handmade piece we purchased in Japan and brought back with us. It seemed like a good occasion to put them to use!

Edited by Matthew Kayahara, 05 January 2015 - 07:48 PM.

kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#58 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

Beautiful and delicious sounding, Matthew. I love hearing about different holiday traditions from other cultures. Thanks so much for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users