• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Last year, myself and a couple of other CK'ers, Dana and Jake, helped Michael develop and test recipes using schmaltz for a single subject App. I'm delighted the app has now gone live, and you can find it here
Schmaltz

This is from the book. Brioche using Schmaltz. Now if you had asked me before I tested this, I would have said "Ick". I mean, chicken fat in bread? Well let's see how it turned out.

The dough is a bit more shiny using Schmaltz.
Posted Image

Taking a page from Dorie Greenspan's "Around my French Table", I divided the dough into balls, to make bubble rolls.
Posted Image

They baked up beautfully
Posted Image

Posted Image

With a very soft almost delicate crumb
Posted Image

You can absolutely smell the chicken fat while they are baking, but don't worry. There is no taste of chicken fat in these at all. Simply moist, but crispy crusted brioche rolls.

I was totally surprised by this and many of the other recipes we tested for this. Get the app and check it out for yourselves, then tell us what you think!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

You've had this up for 2 weeks, and I'm just now seeing it!?!?!?! I have to get a grip on stuff.

I very much enjoyed the things I got to test for this 'book'. I was really surprised at the number of thing you can use schmaltz in. I, too, usually found no chicken-y flavor, but a definite richness in the things i prepared. My husband expecially loved the chicken and dumplings and I have made them several times since. I'll do them again soon and post a photo..

That brioche looks lucious.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

lol. No. I did the post a couple of weeks ago, but it was invisible until just the other day. I had to wait till the app went live. So you're not going crazy!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#4 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I am so glad. I was really worried.
Stop Family Violence

#5 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Leave it to Michael to revive and modernize old styles of cooking!

I don't have the app yet as I thankfully have no handheld device after retiring. I'll have to figure out what to do with the app or ask my librarian.

There is no chance of buying schmaltz deep inside S.W. Ontario, but I think I can make some, when I slaughter some game hens a month from now.

I have a jar of 'Better than Bouillon' chicken paste on hand, and it is very schmaltzy.

I'll try a tablespoon of that in my next bread, using it for fat and salt content.

Today, January 1st, I'm preparing a brisket, moist tagine heat in the oven, comfort food.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

James I think the book is coming out in hardcover, but probably not till the fall. And schmaltz is pretty easy to make. I did it by removing the skin and fat from chicken thighs, and rendered them with some onions. I will see about posting the method from the app later.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Guest_Lyndell_*

Guest_Lyndell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi. I'm new here . Can't find any "rules &regs" for posting, so will hope that if I'm courteous, that will suffice until someone can fill me in.

This topic is how I got here, with the link from Michael's app Schmaltz. He announced it would be de-published on Apr 24, and did so on the 25th. The hardcover will be released August 13, and there will be a Kindle edition, as well. He says he intends to re-publish the app later (I think he said early next year) with upgrades. If you have the app now, be sure it's backed up, and then you'll be able to get the upgrades when they're available.

All my cooking life, I've rendered & saved chicken fat for cooking. But until this app, I really knew nothing of schmaltz. My parents always called their rendered chicken fat schmaltz. Well! As soon as I got the app &read it, I called John at John's Live Poultry, where I get all my fowl, game birds, and rabbit, and asked him to gather up about 10# of chicken fat & skin. I made up half of it right away...Oh Man, Oh Man! The difference is incredible! The onion makes it.

And my Very Best Friend, who is Jewish, told me they use the gribenes in their chopped liver. Now John is going to have to save up a couple pounds of livers for me.

Oh, BTW, those "bubble rolls" of Dorie Greenspan's are what we always called "cloverleaf rolls." Love 'em!

Edited by Lyndell, 05 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#8 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Welcome, Lyndell! yes, the gribenes go into the chopped liver and make it amazing. I was quite surprised by how good the bread was using schmaltz as the fat. I hope you enjoy the app and this site as well!

And here is the link to the site rules, but yes, courteous pretty much covers it.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#9 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Welcome, Lyndell!!

I have a couple of bags of chicken skin and fat in my freezer waiting to be turned into chicken and dumplings. My husband went crazy for that!!
Stop Family Violence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users