• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Apparently the Superbowl is this weekend. Who knew? :D My son, who to my knowledge has never watched a football game in his life, except for Superbowls, informed me he would be watching this Sunday and wanted to know what I was planning for food.

Um, nothing? :D My parents went to a Superbowl party every year, and I remember taking my Mom to that same party for years after my father passed away.

So, I guess I'd better figure out something football worthy to make for the lad, although we won't be having a party, and he's a bit young for beer just yet.

Chicken wings come to mind. Chili, but I made that a few days ago. Nachos? Surely there is something more inspiring out there for football watching types of food?
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Not just chicken wings, Buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing. Look, superbowl is really about favorite MAN foods! Pizza is one, wings, fajitas, fried chicken, picnic foods in the winter!!! Hamburgers, chili-burgers. Fried, cheesy, crunchy, strong tastes!!! Chips, dips.

Edited by Corgi Man, 29 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Not just chicken wings, Buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing. Look, superbowl is really about favorite MAN foods! Pizza is one, wings, fajitas, fried chicken, picnic foods in the winter!!! Hamburgers, chili-burgers. Fried, cheesy, crunchy, strong tastes!!! Chips, dips.

Ok, except I like most of those foods too! I have blue cheese dressing left over. I can thin that out for some dip. I can do buffalo wings. I don't think I'll be doing fried chicken as we're having roast chicken tomorrow. Fajitas I could do. Hamburgers we'd have to shovel our way to the grill for. Oh wait. I'd have to do that for fajitas too. Nachos, definitely. Anyone got a good nacho cheese recipe? Chips and dip I have.

I'm going to confess that we actually watched the Superbowl last year. We happened to turn it on and got caught up in the whole thing. Ryan wants the Steelers to win this year, which means I'd have to root for the Cardinals. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#4 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

Fajitas restaurant style are often sliced first then sautéed in a skillet along with the peppers and onions.
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#5 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

If I could relive teen years, with Dad, in front of the tube, I would ask for southern fried food (chicken, fish, shrimp, onion rings, fries). Maybe even poutine.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

James, my father was a huge football fan. As was my brother. Onion rings. I like that. Poutine is out. Gack.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

We are really last minute Charlie's when it comes to sporting events...hockey, curling, baseball, you name it. We haven't a clue who is playing but like to get caught up in the excitement. I am going to make chilli and corn bread. We have been south the lasr 3 winters and watched it on a jumbo screen on the beach.
Um..little different with our predicted snow and cold temps.

#8 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

And it's Superbowl Sunday again. It's just the two of us, and I've been ill, so I think it will just be chicken wings for snacks. One of these days we'll have a superbowl party at the cottage maybe and I'll get more creative, but right now, this is about all I can manage.

hot wings for Don, honey hoisin wings for me. Haven't tried the honey hoisin before.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#9 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Read the Super Bowl section in yesterday's paper so have some idea about the players etc. I didn't know that about the guy from the movie "Blindside" being a Raven's player.

Um...watching golf at the moment.

#10 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Great game. Really exciting after the half.

#11 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yes the second half, the game kind of came alive. I did make wings for the game. Honey hoisin and hot wings.

Posted Image
They were both really good, but neither of us ate much since my husband is now almost as sick as I still am. Have taken stuff out to make chicken soup for dinner.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#12 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

This wasn't the superbowl, but the playoff game a couple of weeks before.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Meatballs in Thai chili sauce, spinach artichoke dip, 7 layer mexican dip, wings and roasted shrimp. Too much food for 4 people, but we managed to put a pretty good dent into it!!
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#13 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

It all looks so great, Dana. Especially those shrimp!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users