Chanukah/Hannukah/Christmas

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 persimmon

persimmon
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

We had a snowfall on Friday, but today is sunny & not a trace left. I feel sorry for those without power at any time, but especially at Christmas.

I'm doing turkey & trimmings here for just 6 of us on Xmas Eve. Xmas day brunch will be at son's home, with leftover turkey for dinner. Boxing Day, another turkey dinner at nephews home, this time for 25 of us.

No shortage of good things to eat, as usual.

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!! :)
Jackie

#182 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thinking of changing my Christmas Eve menu again - Americaís Test Kitchenís Modern Beef Burgundy:
Posted Image
This has been a hellacious year and Iím looking at Christmas approaching FAST this year. Usually by now all my gifts are bought and ready to be wrapped and I havenít even organized my list yet. I also usually have my timelines and shopping lists organized for the food and I havenít done that either. So I was trying to think of a way to further simplify the meal for 50+ that we do on the 24th. How about doing one main dish that could be frozen with a couple of sides that require very little prep? I saw this recipe done on TV a while ago and saved it to try. This was delicious and very easy. The prep work takes longer than the hands-on work of putting the dish together. All of the browning takes place in the oven. This is a delicious recipe. The sauce is deep and rich tasting and everything you want in Beef Burgundy. Iíll be freezing the leftovers and tasting them again in a week or so to see how they fare. The frozen mushrooms may be a problem, but they are done separately with the pearl onions and refrigerated, so I could do them a couple of days ahead of time and add them in during reheating. I plan on serving with buttered parsley noodles (which I can do a couple of days ahead of time and reheat in a slow cooker), a big salad (with Marleneís bleu cheese dressing), good bread (purchased), some cheeses and fruits (need a protein for the vegetarians and gluten free kids). Then all my regular sweets and treats.

#183 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Other than the mushrooms :P It looks really good. And yes, I would simplify this year. Particularly as you have people who don't show/don't rsvp etc! Make it as easy on yourself as possible! I am gearing up for our Thanksgiving next weekend then will think about Christmas. It looks like we are probably going to have one party at least this year, so perhaps back to my entertaining season thread!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#184 persimmon

persimmon
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Kim said...."Usually by now all my gifts are bought and ready to be wrapped and I havenít even organized my list yet. I also usually have my timelines and shopping lists organized for the food and I havenít done that either."

WHAT!!?? Yikes....this is the beginning of October.... :unsure:
Jackie

#185 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Marlene Ė me too, on the mushrooms! I hate them, but am not allergic to them, so I cut them huge to enable me to avoid them. :ph34r:

Persimmon Ė normally I shop all year (we have a monstrously large list). October and November are for organizing, wrapping and freezing things I can make ahead of time. December is for decorating! :rolleyes:

#186 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:51 AM

My first holiday cooking was our annual Christmas Eve celebration. I changed the menu again this year Ė same goodies and sweets, but the meal was different. I did the CI Modern Beef Burgundy with egg noodles, salad, cheeses, fruits, crackers and bread.

Beef Burgundy:
Posted Image
Through some experimentation I discovered that I could freeze the basic beef and sauce mixture and then do the mushroom and pearl onion mixture the day before serving. I heated it all up together early in the day and adjusted the seasoning and put it in slow cookers. The noodles were cooked the day before and plunged into boiling water and held in a slow cooker, too. This worked amazingly well Ė everything tasted lovely and the meat was so tender.

Green salad with bleu cheese dressing, my Dad's paprika dressing and pumpernickel croutons:
Posted Image

Cheeses:
Posted Image
Just Costco Gouda, Brie and Cheddar.

Grapes, clementines and Lady apples:
Posted Image

Some nice, crusty bread from Whole Foods:
Posted Image

Iíve put all the sweets in the Baking & Desserts section.

Christmas morning breakfast! The menu never changes.

My MILís candy cane:
Posted Image

Pillsbury Orange Danish Tree:
Posted Image
Silliest thing ever, but we HAVE to have them.

Jessica made mimosas this year:
Posted Image
Very popular. A new tradition, I think.

Sausage rolls:
Posted Image

Baby Quiche Lorraine:
Posted Image

I missed getting a picture of the everything bagels :rolleyes: !

For my MILís Christmas celebration on the 26th, she requested Texas Caviar:
Posted Image
Served with pita chips. Very good. A couple of folks ate so much of this while the rest of the prep was going on that they hardly ate any dinner!

#187 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

As always, I am in ah of all your holiday cooking, Kim.

We just had the usual turkey dinner with creamed cauli for veg.

Pot pies on the menu for tonight.

#188 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

What a freaking disaster!!!

Sister-in-aw said she would clean the oven so I could cook the ham. Well....her idea of cleaning varies widely from most. She sprayed with some oven cleaner but couldn't get it off so when I went to preheat rather noxious fumes were coming out...luckily another in-laws roommate offered to bake the ham and sweet potatoes. I juggled 2 working burners to reheat the sweets with margarine and maple syrup, carrots with sage honey and olive oil, slow cooked green beans with olive oil and the jus from the ham with crushed pineapple.

John and I will celebrate our Christmas on New Years Eve as we have for 31 of our 33 years. He has requested a lasagna he can eat. I am adding salad and bread...garlic bread. Ten some modest gifts and a card ....
Engineer + Hunger = Chain Restaurant
Johnnybird

#189 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Dianne Ė thank you. This was my best planned Christmas dinner ever, I think. Our open house started at 5pm and, while I had plenty of things to do that day, my food prep for the day didnít start until 3pm!!! Your turkey sounds lovely. We attended 4 holiday meals this year and didnít get turkey anywhere!

Suzi Ė good Lord! What a mess! People are just bizarre. Thank goodness for the roommate and I hope you and John thoroughly enjoy YOUR celebration.

#190 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Here’s my proposed menu for Christmas Eve – 50+ guests, open house.  I’d like to know if you all think it is missing anything:

Slow Cooker Italian Beef with rolls, horseradish, Provolone cheese and sautéed onions and red peppers

Smoked turkey breast with rolls, mayo and lettuce

Ham with rolls and mustard

Fruit Salad

Macaroni Salad

Mixed Green Salad w/ two dressings

And all of my usual sweets. 

Thanks for the help!

#191 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

That sounds like a wonderful menu, Kim and a lot more like you can handle it without going nuts.

#192 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

Dianne - thanks!  That is exactly what I'm hoping - easy AND good!  After some input from some eG folks, I've added smoked salmon.  

Edited by kim shook, 01 December 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#193 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Anyone else doing something fun for Christmas? We'll have our usual rib roast, Boursin potatoes, and broccolinni, and I'm going to try a creamed corn I saw on facebook, then choc pudding for dessert.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#194 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:23 AM

The Italian beef that I mentioned in my menu above and that I made on the "Today I Cooked" thread awhile back is the only 'different' thing I'm doing.  It tastes great and it's even better if you get a little messy with it and dip the top of the bun in the jus.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users