• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

Cook's Challenge #4 - A Movable Feast

Let’s take a trip around the world. We’ll move eastward in the order of the cities presented.

You can start with any city but you must continue in order and go back to the top of the City List till you’ve visited all six locations.

The courses are in the required order. Each course’s dish should be something representative of that city or region and country you’re in for that course.

Each course except Salad should have a wine or accompanying alcoholic beverage. If you have something that goes with your Salad by all means serve it.

If you can’t find an appropriate beverage for any one of the courses, tell us what you served but also tell us what you would have liked to serve had you been able. If you don’t drink tell us what you think should go with it.

If six courses is just too much effort and organization to do for one meal, you can do this variant: Pick your itinerary, then do courses 1, 3 and 5 for one meal and courses 2, 4, and 6 for another.

City List Traveling Eastward

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lisbon, Portugal
Cape Town, South Africa
Bangkok, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Vancouver, B.C., Canada or Seattle, Washington, U.S.

Courses

1. Cocktail Hour Hors d’Oeuvres
2. Dinner First Course Appetizer or Soup
3. Seafood Course and appropriate side
4. Poultry or Meat Course and appropriate side
5. Salad
6. Dessert

Two Possible Itineraries

1. Cocktail Hour Hors d’Oeuvres - Buenos Aires, Argentina
2. Dinner First Course Appetizer or Soup - Lisbon, Portugal
3. Seafood Course and appropriate side - Cape Town, South Africa
4. Poultry or Meat Course and appropriate side - Bangkok, Thailand
5. Salad - Melbourne, Australia
6. Dessert - Vancouver, B.C., Canada or Seattle, Washington, U.S.

1. Cocktail Hour Hors d’Oeuvres - Bangkok, Thailand
2. Dinner First Course Appetizer or Soup - Melbourne, Australia
3. Seafood Course and appropriate side - Vancouver, B.C., Canada or Seattle, Washington, U.S.
4. Poultry or Meat Course and appropriate side - Buenos Aires, Argentina
5. Salad - Lisbon, Portugal
6. Dessert - Cape Town, South Africa

I hope you all complete Challenge #3 soon.

Edited by Corgi Man, 08 August 2007 - 01:03 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#2 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

Well this will certainly be a challenge! I'll have to do some googling to come up with apropriate food ideas for those countries I'm not familiar with! I think I'll have to do this in two bites since I'd rather not do all six courses at once!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#3 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Holy Moly, Skip, that's a lot of food. Like Marlene, I will have to make 2 meals out of it. It isn't the effort. We just can't eat that much in a single meal.

#4 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Dianne,
If anyone chose to do all six courses at once., I would think they should be very small portions like on a tasting menu. And you don't have to be complex. I just ordered some emu steaks (which I've had before and are quite delicious and good for you but frightfully easy to overcook and make tough) which are about 3 oz apiece. That plus a side would be a course. I also ordered some emu sausages which I could slice and cook in little puffed pastry shells. Or I could do an Australian salad that has emu prosciutto in it. By the way there are quite a few emu ranches in Canada.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#5 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

I bought a nice South African Sauvignon Blanc today and a red Goats Do Roam, gradually assembling my meal. I also bought a Portuguese Douro red. These are supposedly pretty good wines at a pretty inexpensive price. Now, should I get a great Australian shiraz or a full bodied Australian beer? Of course Thailand has some darn good beer and bat's blood whiskey. And Seattle has interesting beers and Washington wines. And Vancouver might have one of those fine Canadian Cabernet Francs or a Canadian beer. And Argentina has some awfully good red wines.

Edited by Corgi Man, 09 August 2007 - 07:37 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#6 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

I bought a nice South African Sauvignon Blanc today and a red Goats Do Roam, gradually assembling my meal. I also bought a Portuguese Douro red. These are supposedly pretty good wines at a pretty inexpensive price. Now, should I get a great Australian shiraz or a full bodied Australian beer? Of course Thailand has some darn good beer and bat's blood whiskey. And Seattle has interesting beers and Washington wines. And Vancouver might have one of those fine Canadian Cabernet Francs or a Canadian beer. And Argentina has some awfully good red wines.

Will this be the liquid version of dinner, or will there be food with that? :P :D

I will be interested to hear what you think of the Douro. We have access to some great Portuguese wines here, and I buy them often. Great price point, and I really enjoy them. Goats Do Roam is a standard at the LCBO here, I've had a couple bottles of the rose this summer too. I prefer the Goats do Roam in Villages.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:08 PM

James said this over in the cooking thread:

Thanks, Dana, for a Panhandle perspective.

And thanks for suggesting this topic. I like the spontaneous ideas we have had, such as paella, cassoulet, and autumn soups, as well as the challenges.

Now, this challenge has been seriously languishing. And there hasn't been major participation in most of the other challenges. Should we perhaps, just let the challenges go for now, and go with the spontaneous group cooks that we seem to come up with?
cookskorner@gmail.com

#8 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

I think that's probably a good plan for now.
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#9 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:24 AM

I like the spontaneos idea a lot.

#10 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Skip’s Culinary Itinerary

1. Cocktail Hour Hors d’Oeuvres – Seattle, Washington, U.S.

Washington Salmon home cured in Fennel and Pernod served with cream cheese and chives on toasts with 2006 Columbia Winery Cellar Master’s Riesling. I would have never thought anise and salmon would be good together. Well, they're wonderful and I will make this again. :D

Posted Image

There's salmon underneath all that vegetation.

Posted Image

I won't be hired at the deli for my slicing skills... :lol:

Posted Image

...but my guests loved it and said they've never tasted anything like it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Dinner First Course Appetizer or Soup - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sopa de Zapalla (Winter Squash Soup) with 2005 Pascual Toso Chardonnay. This winter squash soup is muy delicioso with a slight gazpacho taste to it and not heavy at all. :blink: Duh, there's no cream.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. Seafood Course - Lisbon, Portugal

Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa (Salted Cod, Onions and Potatoes) with 2004 Douro Porca de Murça. This is very peasant like food with its strong tastes. :ph34r: It easily stood up to the red wine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Meat Course and appropriate side - Cape Town, South Africa

Lamb and Dried Fruit Curry accompanied by an African grain medley with 2005 Goats do Roam. I loved this dish with its slightly hot, sweet and sour tastes and variety of textures. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the mise en place. And I'm sorry that this and the next dish use peanuts. :( I'll still make them both again. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5. Salad - Bangkok, Thailand

Som Tum (Green Papaya Salad) – no beverage. Wow, this is a wonderful combination of sweet, salty, tangy, spicy, soft and crunchy and took 10 minutes to make!

Posted Image

Posted Image

6. Dessert - Melbourne, Australia

Lamingtons with NV Campbell’s Rutherglen Muscat. This surprisingly simple dessert invented in the late 1700's for the Penal Colony Governeur Lamington by his cook as a disguise to make stale cake palatable was a hit with my guests and the Muscat was a worthy accompaniment.

Posted Image

The pieces of cake are split and stuffed with strawberry preserves, then dipped in chocolate and finally rolled in coconut. Here are all three stages.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All in all this was pretty easy. No more difficult than having one dinner party for six or two ordinary three course dinners. The salmon and the cod were started two days before and the day of preparation was fairly easy and quick, the Lamingtons and the soup were done the day before. Dianne, the serving sizes are pretty small and are served on salad plates.

Edited by Corgi Man, 12 October 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#11 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

I'm speechless Skip. Absolutely outstanding!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#12 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

Wow! I am such a fan of salt cod and this one looks stupendous!
A muscat ramble :D
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#13 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

3. Seafood Course - Lisbon, Portugal

Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa (Salted Cod, Onions and Potatoes) with 2004 Douro Porca de Murça. This is very peasant like food with its strong tastes. :ph34r: It easily stood up to the red wine.

Posted Image

Dianne, the serving sizes are pretty small and are served on salad plates.

That is all amazing, Skip. And the salt cod is my fav. prep from Portugal.

#14 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:25 AM

Wow, I am so impressed. Everything looks so incredible, yet you made it look so easy!! How much time did you spend on research? Please elaborate on the African grains. We went to Africa a couple of years ago and found the food outstanding.

Edited by Dana, 13 October 2007 - 01:26 AM.

Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#15 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

Wow, I am so impressed. Everything looks so incredible, yet you made it look so easy!! How much time did you spend on research? Please elaborate on the African grains. We went to Africa a couple of years ago and found the food outstanding.

Thank you all. It was not hard. I learned so much from doing the last two challenges (Jake's and mine), seeing all the influences from different places on each country's cuisine because of colonization and settlers, etc. (Who would have guess the Welsh have a huge influence on Southern Argentinian cooking?) I did only a couple of hours of Googling and always came up with a few sites that talked about cooking from a particular country. Once I set that the meat course was going to be the lamb-fruit curry from South Africa the searches became more specific and everything fell into place. There is not one difficult dish in all of the six. The salmon needs to be cured for two days but the prep took 15 minutes. The salt cod needs to soak for 36 hours with a couple of water changes, but the dish is basically slicing onions and potatoes, softening them and then baking them in layers with the torn up cod meat. The soup, you soften all the veggies and purée them. The African dish you brown the cubed lamb and soften the onions then bake them with some of the dried fruits then add fresh banana slices and roasted peanuts in the end. The salad took 10 minutes or less. The Lamingtons might be something fun to do with kids, supervised of course.

The grain medley: red rice, brown rice, short grain white rice, barley, rye and wheat berries. Here simply cooked in water with S & P and butter added. The grocer also wanted me to add a grain called Faro to the medley, but you have to soak it for a day and it is quite chewy. I have an international grocer who carries things like this medley, the salt cod, Greek cheeses, etc.

Posted Image

Edited by Corgi Man, 13 October 2007 - 09:36 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users