Photo

Ck Challenge #3

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

Only dried herbs? no fresh? is vanilla a spice?

#22 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

I'm good with fresh herbs....i'll add them. Don't know why i wasn't thinking of that, the herb garden is fabulous right now. And wild boar and rosemary is a lovely marriage, peas and mint, elk and thyme etc. etc.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#23 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'm going to stop in at Muskoka Meats and see if we can get elk or wild boar. I have elk steaks at home in the freezer, but no plans to go there.

Fresh favas are hard to get here, but they sometimes show up at the market. Peas are a snap (sorry).
And there are dried cranberries at Gravenhurst market. We can get buffalo there too. Would you count that if I can't get other game?

#24 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Here's half of my leg of wild boar. :ph34r: The butcher told me they were ordering me a 7 pound one. What arrived was an 18.5 pound monster. He knew that was way more than I needed and sold me the whole darn thing at cost. He said I was the first to ask for wild boar in years and he probably would not be able to sell this. So he cut it in half and I'm defrosting this half and getting it ready for a marinade tomorrow. Sunday will be the big cooking day. :blink:

Posted Image

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#25 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

It looks like a fresh ham.

My pork/beef farmer connection, R Huber, wants me to try his boar meat, or, if I choose, undescended male pork.(Don't ask :ph34r: ) He says the Europeans are way ahead of us, never castrate pigs (EU regulation) and he is developing a niche market for boar meat with Italian-Canadians, who prefer the taste.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#26 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

Well the petite 9 pound leg of wild boar just went into the 250 degree F oven after 36 hours of marinating in red wine, cloves, onions, thyme and salt and pepper. In 5 to 6 hours we'll see what we have.

Posted Image

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#27 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

That looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the outcome and read your perceptions of the wild boar.

#28 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Cook’s Korner Challenge #3

Appetizer
pancetta - sautéed and crumbled
minced red onion
blue cheese
heavy cream
baguette cut into crostini brushed with olive oil
minced parsley

THE APPETIZER REALLY WORKED :)

Posted Image

Salad

zucchini
avocado
dried cranberries
arugula
fennel
lemon
olive oil
fresh dill

THE SALAD WAS THE HIT OF THE EVENING – GO FIGURE?! :blink:

Posted Image

Vegetable

fava beans
pancetta - diced then sautéed
sliced onions - caramelized
minced jalapeño
butter

Main Course
leg of wild boar marinated in red wine, thyme, onions, salt and pepper

SOME GAME MEAT AIN'T FOR EVERYONE. :( (Including me.) FAVA BEAN CASSEROLE WAS LIKED A LOT.

Posted Image

EVERYONE DEVOURED THE DESSERT AND TWO HAD SECONDS. (Could it be the Grand Marnier and Confectioner's Sugar?) :D

Dessert
blueberries
dried cranberries
plums
Grand Marnier
whipped heavy cream with confectioner's sugar and a little more Grand Marnier

Posted Image

I saved the photo of the cooked leg of wild boar till last because it came out of the oven looking like a stage prop for Falstaff in the MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR. :unsure: The red wine marinade made all sorts of interesting colors. Two guests loved the boar. I didn't. :( Maybe because it doesn't taste like anything I've had before and was different enough to be just plain weird. And I was frustrated with how it cooked - overdone in some sections and extremely rare in others. I did really like the reduced gravy I made from the drippings.

Posted Image

For the first two courses we had a lovely 2006 Peju Chardonnay and a berryous 2005 Luna Pinot Noir for the main course. No need for more.

Thanks, Jake. I had a great time and for the most part we all loved the food. Though it turned out a bit cher to get it all together. AND I used all the required ingredients!!! :D

Edited by Corgi Man, 08 July 2007 - 09:48 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#29 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Well done, Skip. I think you will not be alone in your dislike of game, this challenge. I'm not even sure I will get there. But you used all the ingredients and you gave yourself a challenge by cooking the leg, so you get extra points, I think!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#30 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

For those of us who have not had wild boar, what did it taste like? Is it pig but gamey? Male scent? tough? Female in heat? You can see I'm not favorably predisposed, nor do I think elk is an option for me, especially with the incidence of BSE-like disease in elk herds.

But your execution was superb, the whole meal, and the sauce. I wonder why it was overdone at one end?
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#31 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

James, thanks for the compliments.

I honestly don't know why the leg of wild boar burned and got very tough at one end. My oven has actually served me pretty accurately and I placed this right in the middle of the oven. Maybe I should have rotated it. The marinade itself seemed to burn at the bottom of the roasting pan, too. Maybe that was it. I had to brush on the marinade several times during the slow-cooking. But I will make a confession here, I've not had good luck making leg of lamb either. It, too, is one of those dishes where I get tough parts, tender parts, some in-between and some inedible and varying areas of doneness.

The taste of wild boar was more like beef than pork to me. But not being accustomed to it, it was like beef with an off taste, almost like when I had beef from Argentina (I didn't like that much either). It's weight is like beef. Most of it wasn't overly tough, more like round steak (which you have to be careful with not over-cooking.) There were a couple of sections that were actually tender. I imagine that the ribs and tenderloin would be much easier to deal with in taste and texture and preparation. So to me this tasted like beef that was gamey. One of the guests commented on its beefiness. Hope I answered your question.

EDITED TO ADD: I've had a buffalo burger a couple of times and liked that. And I liked the venison sausages that I've had.

Edited by Corgi Man, 08 July 2007 - 10:51 PM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#32 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Wonderful meal, Skip. Too bad you didn't really like the boar. I have only had chops that I cooked myself and they were like strong pork to my taste. I had wild boar ragu in Italy, which tasted like ragu. :D .

Thanks for your excellent effort on our behalf.

#33 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

You know, Dianne, maybe it was just the cut of wild boar. Maybe it was how I prepared it (slow cooking at 250 F for 5.5 hours). I know I like rack of lamb and lamb chops a lot more than I like leg of lamb. Maybe the same would be true with wild boar. (Anyway I have the other half of this wild boar leg in the freezer and I have difficulty throwing things away so I will look for a very different recipe than this red wine one that I found on Epicurious and see what comes from that.)

Edited by Corgi Man, 09 July 2007 - 07:55 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#34 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Skip, great job! I love your salad idea, that's one of the ideas I was thinking when I put together the list of ingredients. Sorry to hear about you not loving the boar, but thank you so much for participating, you did an awesome job.

Dianne, if you couldn't find boar or elk, then by all means substitute other game.

James, perhaps you could use pork if you're concerned about the safety of elk or trying boar. I specifically put a mainstream meat in there in effort to make everyone comfortable.

#35 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

Skip, great job! I love your salad idea, that's one of the ideas I was thinking when I put together the list of ingredients. Sorry to hear about you not loving the boar, but thank you so much for participating, you did an awesome job.

Dianne, if you couldn't find boar or elk, then by all means substitute other game.

Now you tell me!!! My butcher had venison steaks with no special ordering and - grrrrrrr... :blink:

I will be making that salad again. I wish the plating idea was mine. I saw something similar on line and really liked it. Thanks for turning me on to fennel. Chopped up, it was a wonderful crunchy and subtle licorice addition to the salad and I don't usually like anything anise flavored but this was great. Now I have to try it cooked.

Edited by Corgi Man, 09 July 2007 - 08:08 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#36 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Skip, did you use the fennel raw, or did you blanch it first? It's lovely cooked too, and braises well in broth. The flavour is milder after cooking. I'm glad you used the boar, and didn't substitute, I only suggested it to Dianne as she was having difficulty locating elk or boar, and James did not want to use either. (Hence the pork).

I'm hoping to have time to do the challenge myself later in the month while on holidays. For those in Toronto or southern Ontario. elk can be easily obtained at the SLM on Saturdays, or one may look up producers on the internet for availability here

Edited by Jake, 09 July 2007 - 09:07 AM.

#37 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

I made the lemon, dill and olive oil dressing for the salad first. I chopped the raw fennel, chopped some of the zucchini and made strips with the rest, made little scoops of avocado and then I tossed them all together with the dressing. The lemon kept these veggies from oxydizing. I also let the dried cranberries marinate in the dressing, too. Right before plating I tossed the arugula with the marinating veggies. I wanted the arugula to be crisp. The fennel was nice and crunchy and wouldn't have been had I blanched it.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#38 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Is boars leg usually done roasted? This is hardly my area of expertise being swine-averse, but I think I've only seen boars leg used for charcuterie, braised, or stewed.

I'll pick up some elk at some point in the near future and give this challenge a shot.

#39 Guest_Gordon_*

Guest_Gordon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

Menu - wise

Elk tartare with lemon zest and smoked salt, fried quail egg, garlic rubbed baguette, pickled red onion, Maytag Bleu & Avocado sorbet and fried sopressata chips

Slow Roasted Pork butt with ancho chile sauce on polenta cake with a salad of arugula, pine nuts, fresh peas, green beans, fried shallots, machego cheese, and pancetta vinaigrette with adobo-dusted croutons

Wild Boar Chop with a blueberry port demi galce. Served with a Courgette, carmelized fennel, roasted red pepper, fresh pea, shitake, and fava wellington in phyllo with crumbled stilton.

Plum Tarte tatin with candied walnuts in maple syrup and lemon zested crème fraiche

If I need to cook this to qualify - you'll have to wait until the weather breaks a little.

#40 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

Sounds better than great, Gordon,
But I don't think we're supposed to use all the extra ingredients that weren't on Jake's list.

(I wanted to use toasted pinenuts in my salad but was restrained.)

Dave,
When I did Google research for the wild boar leg, roasting was the main thing that came up.

Edited by Corgi Man, 09 July 2007 - 10:26 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users