Ck Challenge #3

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

Hi all! My apologies for delaying this challenge, but I've been super busy eating and drinking at Marlene's new cottage err, working. Seriously, it has been a crazy time of year for both!

Okay, so this is one of my favourite types of challenges and I do it myself and with chef friends a lot. It's your typical black box challenge. I will post a list of ingredients below, and you must come up with 2 courses minimum using all of the ingredients. (If you use most of the ingredients, you still qualify, but with less points.) The prize is, as usual, the esteem of your peers. :o

Here is a list of ingredients (to make this fun for everyone I have given you a choice of protein):

Choose one of: pork / elk / wild boar
Choose one of: fresh peas / favas / green beans

Courgette
avocado
arugula
fennel
lemon
panchetta
blueberries
plums
fresh chillies of any type
blue cheese
heavy cream or creme fraiche
dried cranberries
baguette

Free items that may be used: evoo, butter, mustard, any dried or fresh spices/herbs, salt, pepper, flour, sugar, alcohol (for cooking or drinking), onion and garlic.

Let's see what we come up with!

In the interest of this being late, I think we'll run this through to August 8th.

Edited by Jake, 06 July 2007 - 11:53 AM.

Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#2 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

Sounds fun. Thanks Jake.

#3 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Two questions. What's Courgette?

And do you have to use all of the ingredients in each course, or just overall, use them all?

Thanks, Jake!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#4 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Two questions. What's Courgette?

And do you have to use all of the ingredients in each course, or just overall, use them all?

Thanks, Jake!

Zucchini. Please don't make anything that uses elk, zucchini, blueberry, avocados, and bluecheese in the same dish. Ever.

#5 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

I believe courgette is what we in the US call a zucchini.

Edited to add: Hey, I tried to submit before Dave did! And Invision wouldn't let me!

Edited by Corgi Man, 05 July 2007 - 06:03 PM.

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

I believe courgette is what we in the US call a zucchini.

Edited to add: Hey, I tried to submit before Dave did! And Invision wouldn't let me!

Oh. Gag. :P :ph34r:
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Two dishes is enough for me :rolleyes:

I'm thinking most of the fruits will go into ice cream, with a blue cheese swirl :wacko: :o
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#8 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

Jake only picked pork because she's making it this weekend. :P Avacado and zucchini rank up there with my top ten dislikes.

the lemon could go in a martini. That's a course isn't it? :D

The blue cheese is easy. It can go into my three cheese cheese ball as a nibble, or into the blue cheese and devilled eggs, or blue cheese dip or dressing for the arugula.

The rest of the fruits into some sort of cobbler maybe. I'm not sure yet about the fennel, fresh chillies or pancetta. None of which are my favourites. And I'm cooking for one next week. Hmmm.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#9 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Two questions: 1) Are we allowed to use only the ingredients listed? 2) Where it says "fresh peas / favas / green beans" does fresh apply to favas, or only to peas?

Edited to add: No butter!?

Edited by Matthew Kayahara, 05 July 2007 - 09:02 PM.

kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#10 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

I see that as fresh peas in the pod, maybe including sugar snap peas; green beans fresh from the vine, still snapping;

And favas; what does that include?

I can get dried favas all year round at Bulk Barn; for a brief two or three weeks in September they may be available fresh in ethnic supermarkets.

Clearly we have a choice of fresh beans or peas, and favas which are available fresh but rarely, or dried; maybe even canned!!

Ed. to add: Dried favas are bean only, but the elusive fresh favas have a thick pod to deal with!!

Edited by James, 05 July 2007 - 09:12 PM.

"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#11 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

I see that as fresh peas in the pod, maybe including sugar snap peas; green beans fresh from the vine, still snapping;

And favas; what does that include?

I can get dried favas all year round at Bulk Barn; for a brief two or three weeks in September they may be available fresh in ethnic supermarkets.

Clearly we have a choice of fresh beans or peas, and favas which are available fresh but rarely, or dried; maybe even canned!!

Ed. to add: Dried favas are bean only, but the elusive fresh favas have a thick pod to deal with!!

The thick pod is easy, it's a pain in the ass to skin the individual beans - fresh just means you're stuck doing both.

#12 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi all! Okay, to answer the questions, you have to use all the ingredients in general -- NOT together. (Dave your combo almost made me ill!) Favas are still available fresh here and that is what i was referring to. You can subsititue canned/frozen/dried if you prefer.

I will go edit the first post and add butter as a staple - i agree it's a good thing to have.

Actually, i am not cooking pork this weekend, and i came up with the list based on what's at the market right now etc. I had no idea Marlene hated avocado and zucchini (courgette). Sorry about the mix up in the name, occasionally a french words pops in without thought.

#13 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for that clarification, Jake. Next question: What about eggs? :P
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#14 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

So no starch here to work with? No potato, rice, etc.? Just want to make sure I don't break the rules. (EDITED TO ADD: Jake added the baguette after I wrote this.)

I've never seen a fresh fava bean or pea in a pod here in the Big Apple and I use fresh green beans all the time, so no real experiment there. So thank you for letting me off the hook and allowing canned or dried fava beans.

I'm off to the butcher in a moment to see what he has or can get in the way of an elk chop or wild boar chop or rib. Regular pork wouldn't be a challenge for me. We eat so much of it here.

I've been searching my mind and I seem never to have used fennel. That will be fun. Thanks, Jake.

EDITED TO ADD: Back from the butcher. He will get a leg of wild boar for me by late this afternoon. It will come in around 7 pounds, a lot more than a couple of chops that I hoped for. Probably can't cook it till tomorrow since I bet it will be frozen. Time to look for a few recipes. Asked for Elk and he said it was hard to get during the summer. Mid-Fall is the right time. Also got a pound of dried-shelled fava beans from the International Market which carries many Greek and Middle Eastern items.

Edited by Corgi Man, 06 July 2007 - 09:31 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#15 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

Matthew, no eggs, makes it too easy!

Corgi, the baguette (which was on my original list, and I forgot to add, but have added now) is a starch last time I looked! :P

Wild boar sounds wonderful, I love it. Union Square Market had peas in pod in years past, whole foods here carries fresh peas, taken out of the pod. Favas I don't recall seeing in NYC, but I have never lived there, just visited. I would think you'd need a middle eastern market perhaps.....are there many of those?

Pork would not be a challenge for me either, but I needed an ingredient for anyone that couldn't (or wouldn't) participate using game. Can't wait to see what you make!

Edited by Jake, 06 July 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#16 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Pork isn't exactly a challenge for me either, but unless an elk or wild boar wanders across my property up here, pork it will be. I don't believe I've ever used fennel either.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#17 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

I can provide either for you, elk or Wild Boar....

Edited by Jake, 06 July 2007 - 10:02 AM.

#18 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

I can provide either for you, elk or Wild Board.....

I was afraid you'd say that.

Wild Board? Now that could be interesting. I'll just cut down one of my trees. :P
cookskorner@gmail.com

#19 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

Jake and Marlene, where you're living in cottage country isn't the elk and wild boar local? :D

The descriptions I'm reading about wild boar make it sound that most pork-lovers would really like it.

Edited by Corgi Man, 06 July 2007 - 10:07 AM.

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#20 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Indeed boar is very close to pork. Most elk we get in Ontario is farmed, and boar is not running wild in Muskoka. Add that to the fact that neither are currently in season :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users