Weight Loss/get Fit

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Chad

Chad
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

And we are into the new year. This is the time when people resolve to lose weight. I was pretty good over the holidays and neither gained nor lost. Having said that, I'm now down 32 lbs in total. We haven't done measurements for a while so I'm looking to do those next week and see where we stand.

Still working on it and looking for another 10 lb loss or so yet!

Congratulations, Marlene! That's great. I had a checkup yesterday and weighed in at 220. I can discount 4-5 pounds of that as clothing weight (former wrestlers always know what their clothing weighs), but that's still higher than I'd like. Personally I want to be down around 190. Luckily for me my wife prefers me in the 200 range :wub: . I could probably lose it immediately by cutting out the 3 or 4 glasses of wine a night, but that's not going to happen.

I'm not vowing to lose weight in the new year, but if the publisher buys off on the new book proposal my family will be transitioning to all hand made foods. Nothing from boxes, cans, jars or the freezer section. It will be interesting to see how that affects our weight (and my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.). Should be interesting.

Chad
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com

#82 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Wow, Chad, that sounds like quite the project! Really labour intensive, and just the sort of thing that I love reading about, so you can tell the publisher you've already made one sale. ;)

To keep this on topic: I've lost a shade over 20 lbs. since last April, when I started seriously returning to the gym, and my blood pressure has come down a lot too. It's been interesting noticing the trends in the gym population over the past week; there are definitely lots of people there with New Year's resolutions!
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#83 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

Chad, I'll look forward to that one too, and gee if you need help with the project, you know where to find us. :D

I'm betting as well, that eating like that will have a very positive effect on your weight and general health.

Matthew, that is great to hear! January is usually a busy month for the gyms. By the end of February, it seems to return to just the regulars again. :rolleyes:
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#84 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

I'm not vowing to lose weight in the new year, but if the publisher buys off on the new book proposal my family will be transitioning to all hand made foods. Nothing from boxes, cans, jars or the freezer section. It will be interesting to see how that affects our weight (and my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.). Should be interesting.

Chad

That's a fascinating book concept, Chad, and I wish you well. Timely, as I look at land fill sites nearby :(
I'm greeting the new year, and excess pounds, by making sashimi several times a week, and cutting way back on fats, cheese and some meats. Fortunately, I have no sweet tooth.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#85 Guest_Host Dan_*

Guest_Host Dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

I work out every morning, weights 3 times a week and some cardio every day. Just recently I started eating a bit of oatmeal in the morning, and I feel great! I used to skip breakfast- no more!!

#86 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

I work out every morning, weights 3 times a week and some cardio every day. Just recently I started eating a bit of oatmeal in the morning, and I feel great! I used to skip breakfast- no more!!

Welcome Dan! Nice to see you over here. :) I'm with you on the eating breakfast thing. I never used to eat it. Now I make sure I have something every morning.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#87 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Had to make a "diet" dinner for a friend last night. For the protein I prepared a chicken breast for him, but I brined it for a couple of hours with the spices I normally would have used on it just before cooking. Then I roasted it enclosed in foil in the oven. My friend flipped for it! The brine made the skinless, fatless breast flavorful throughout, and cooking it in foil kept it moist. Simple but big success. I made mine the same way. Pretty darn good.
Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#88 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Had to make a "diet" dinner for a friend last night. For the protein I prepared a chicken breast for him, but I brined it for a couple of hours with the spices I normally would have used on it just before cooking. Then I roasted it enclosed in foil in the oven. My friend flipped for it! The brine made the skinless, fatless breast flavorful throughout, and cooking it in foil kept it moist. Simple but big success. I made mine the same way. Pretty darn good.

Sounds good Skip. I would only question the brine, as most brines have a lot of salt in them which would transfer over. However, that would only lead to a temporary water gain likely. Still, it sounds really good!

I am way behind in my weight loss goals. Between traveling for a month, illness etc, I haven't been to the gym or worked out or anything for several weeks. I haven't gained anything, but I haven't lost anything either.

I will get back on track when I get up to the cottage and hopefully this infection will be gone. Plus, I plan on quitting smoking this summer, so I intend to use exercise as my focus to get over the cravings. I hope.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#89 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Good luck with no smoking. I'm interested in hearing about your experience, from a taste perspective.

I'll add, that as a non smoker for 6 decades, I have never been able to discern the wine nuances that Parker gets. Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson have always been closer to my palate and nose.
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#90 Corgi Man

Corgi Man
  • Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

Today I had the lunch my doctor would like me to have three times a week: three pieces of fruit, 1/2 cup of berries and 1 oz. of cheese. Looks like a lot. I was STARVING by dinner even though I felt full. What a paradox! And no cooking at all, just slicing.

Posted Image

Food, glorious food! / Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood -- / Cold jelly and custard!
Pease pudding and saveloy! / What next is the question?
Rich gentlemen have it, boys -- / In-di-gestion!

Lionel Bart - OLIVER!

#91 Guest_snowangel_*

Guest_snowangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

According to our local newspaper, we all need to take up drumming:

"Consider instead: A recent study by two British sports scientists measured the heart rate, oxygen consumption, lactic acid buildup and peak endurance of Blondie drummer Clem Burke over a 10-year period ending in 2007 to find out just how much energy he used in a gig.

The researchers from the University of Chichester and the University of Gloucestershire found that Burke's exertion rate during a 1 1/2-hour concert equaled that of a 10K runner or a professional soccer player. His heart rate averaged 140 to 150 beats a minute, reaching as high as 190 beats. He burned an average of 600 calories per performance and averaged about 2 quarts in lost fluids.

In short, banging on the skins is quite a workout."

Maybe we should be asking for drum kits for Xmas?

#92 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

We gave each other a Wii syatem for Christmas. Yesterday afternoon we played tennis, golfed and bowled. Does that count as a workout??? Um...well we were drinking wine while playing.

Marlene, something for your games room??

#93 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

A drum set or a Wii fit, Madge? :D Actually we do have a Wii fit up here.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#94 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

A drum set or a Wii fit, Madge? :D Actually we do have a Wii fit up here.

Wii for sure.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users