• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Now that my kitchen is pretty much done, I'm going to get back to some entertaining. Tomorrow night's dinner is for friends, and I'll keep it relatively simple.

I've made salsa, based on Dana's ingredients, to which I added some lime and cilantro instead of parsley. I'll let that blend overnight to see if it needs anything else but we thought it was darn good. I've also made some potted cheese and those will be the nibbles with cocktails.

The main will be prime rib (naturally!) mostly because I'm getting ready to put another order to Cumbrae's and I want to use this last roast up first. Roast potatoes and brocoli gratin I think.

Dessert will be the cheese course and/or raspberry napoleon from Bouchon. I think I've got a lot of cheese going on here, so I could do something else with the brocoli if anyone has any bright ideas!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Jake

Jake
  • Inactive
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

You could dress the broccoli in a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. (Basic vinaigrette using white wine vinegar, add sun dried tomatos and fresh basil).

We too are have a simple dinner party this evening for some business associates/friends.

The menu so far is:

1st course: sashimi (yellowfin tuna, salmon, scallop) with wasabi, ginger and pickled cucumber

2nd course: tortellini stuffed with chix, proscuitto and mortadella served in a Lambrusco brodo with onion jam and slivered leeks.

3rd course: grilled pork tenderloin (dry rub has been on since last night) served with jerusalem artichoke, haricot vert and cippolini onion with pancetta medley (loosly based on a Batalli recipe)

cheese course

dessert: damned if I know. Likely berries with champagne sabayon since it's quick, easy and I have everything in house.
Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies

#3 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

We also had a couple of friends over for dinner tonight. (They're gone now, of course.) The menu was reasonably simple: roasted red pepper soup, twice-baked sweet potatoes with Thai flavours, and tarte tatin for dessert. The soup and tarte were both repeats, but the sweet potatoes were new. The recipe was from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop, a cookbook I'd seen at my stepmother-in-law's place and liked for the fact that, although vegetarian, flavour seemed to be its main concern.

The sweet potatoes were quite good - I overbaked them a little the first time, so they ended up a bit formless, but the flavour was there: red curry paste, ginger, spinach, cilantro and coconut milk. Next time I'd make a point of draining the spinach and adding a little extra curry paste, or maybe some fresh chiles for heat.

I served mixed greens along with the sweet potatoes, dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette made from the raspberry vinegar I mentioned the other day. I'm very much in love with that vinegar.
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#4 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

We never did make the cheese course. We were too full.
We started with the salsa I made and some potted cheese:

The salsa is in my cute little Le Creuset mini tomato casserole:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dinner was a Cumbrae's Prime Rib (I really really like their meats, except I have to tell them not to french the bones next time)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With roasted potatoes:
Posted Image

And broccoli gratin:
Posted Image

Yorkies and gravy:
Posted Image

Posted Image

I completely forgot to get a picture of the plated dinner.
We skipped the cheese course and went straight to the raspberry napoleon:

Posted Image
cookskorner@gmail.com

#5 persimmon

persimmon
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

Your dinner looks delicious Marlene.
I bought the same Yorkshire pudding pans because of you, & I love them!
Jackie

#6 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

What's the advantage to this yorkshire pans as opposed to a muffin pan? I have to be very careful with what I buy for the kitchen as in 2 years I will be moving to a much smaller kitchen than the one I have now.

#7 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

In a popover pan, the yorkies will rise higher and be crisper on the outside and lighter inside. I used a muffin tin for years to make them, and they turn out fine, but they turn out much better in a popover pan. Hmmm, I've got a roast beef on the menu for dinner. It's just Ry and I, but maybe I'll make yorkies anyway!
cookskorner@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users