Passover/easter

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, Matthew! I'll print that out and keep it handy!

#102 Guest_dave solomon_*

Guest_dave solomon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I also found myself wondering the other day what a kale (Spanish) tortilla would be like...

Kale and caramelized onion tortilla is incredibly delicious.

#103 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

Kale and caramelized onion tortilla is incredibly delicious.

Just as I suspected! Thanks for confirming my suspicions. And nice to hear from you!
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#104 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Easter dinner was a group effort this year. I did the pre-meal snacks – Rachel’s ‘Paminna’ Cheese, assorted relishes, cream cheese & pepper jelly and gougères:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mr. Kim smoked the lamb and ham:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I didn’t get a good picture of the lamb sliced. In order to serve it hot, and for him to be able to go to church Easter morning, he smoked and sliced it on Saturday. I gently reheated it with some lamb stock on Sunday in a slow cooker. It still tasted incredible, but lost its lovely pinkness!

My mother made the mint sauce (according to my English Aunt’s recipe) and I made the gravy for the lamb a couple of weeks ago with some neck bones I found at Whole Foods. I am really thrilled with this whole ‘make the gravy ahead of time’ thing I’ve developed. I love not having to devote the time to it last minute and I think that the gravy is actually better. Making it ahead of time, you have the luxury of letting it simmer for a long time and allowing the flavors to really come together and intensify.

My MIL did her fabulous devilled eggs:
Posted Image
Always Jessica’s first request for Easter.

Our honorary nephew did a wonderful creamy fruit salad with berries and oranges and grapes:
Posted Image

His mom, Lisa, did green beans (no picture) and her delicious mac and cheese:
Posted Image

I did a broccoli and cauliflower au gratin:
Posted Image
It ended up being mostly cauliflower – in the future, I need to remember that, with broccoli, when you trim off the stem you end up with about HALF the weight you started with!

A green salad with my dad’s paprika dressing, Marlene’s bleu cheese and croutons:
Posted Image

Sour cream potatoes:
Posted Image

And Michael Ruhlman’s buttermilk rolls:
Posted Image
God, these were good. I baked them on Tuesday and froze them. You would never have known it. They were delicious and the perfect texture. I made them about half the size called for - it made twice as many and they were a good size for the meal.

My friend, Lisa and I provided the desserts. She made her incomparable pound cake with all kinds of berry toppings. Also huge strawberries with chocolate to dip them in. By the end of the meal I was beat, so I missed getting pictures.

I did a cake and almond-stuffed coconut dates:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The cake was Coca-Cola cake with coconut extract instead of vanilla and a new recipe for IMBC that called for meringue powder instead of egg whites. It worked beautifully and everyone loved it. The filling is some coconut curd that I found in the store:
Posted Image

The dates were done with something that I’d never heard of before – coconut powder. It was very fine and dry and perfect for the task. We found it at the new Indian grocery near us.

#105 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Good grief, Kim! that's quite the spread! For the first time ever, I didn't make Easter dinner this year.

Michael's rolls are awesome, but I agree that he makes them way too big!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#106 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Kim, as usual that is quite a feast. Does your MIL have a secret to making her devilled eggs so good?

Must try those rolls. They look fabulous.

#107 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thanks! It was a labor of love. I haven't been able to cook nearly as much as I'd like lately, so it was fun.

Madge - I've asked about the eggs and she swears she doesn't do anything different from anyone else - eggs, mayo, mustard, sweet relish and S&P. She NOT the kind to deliberately leave anything out, so I'm guessing its that 'Grandma' gene :P ! Do try the rolls. I am no baker, but they are incredibly easy and satisfying. Marlene is right - they are way too big. He gets 12 rolls and I easily get twice that!

#108 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well Kim, it must be the Grannie thing as that is what I do also. Will have to keep at it as the "Grannie touch" is unlikely.

#109 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Speaking of Grannie - I'm going to be one again!!!! Colin and Amy are expecting!!!!! YIPEE!!!! They live here in town, so we'll get to see this one with a little more regularity. We are so excited!!!!!
Stop Family Violence
Leslie, I will never forget you.

#110 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Congrats, Dana!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#111 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Dana - fantastic news! When is Amy due?

#112 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Exciting for you. Congratulations.

#113 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Good news, Dana. Grandkids are such fun.

#114 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

She's not due till Dec 2, so she's just barely pregnant, if that is possible. - either you are or you're not, right?? :D :wacko:
Stop Family Violence

#115 Dana

Dana
  • Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

And Amy is pregnant again!!!!! Due on June 6. My bd is the 3rd, Steve's is the 4th, Tyler's, is the 5th. It would be soooooo awesome if this little one came when predicted.
Stop Family Violence

#116 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

Congratulations, Dana!  I have a strong grandmother wish!  I ogle babies everywhere!  So happy for you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users