• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

The weather is turning cooler here and my thoughts always turn to braising when it does. Not only that, but braised foods come under that wonderful heading "comfort food". They make your kitchen smell wonderful, and when done right, produce succulent, tender results.

I kicked off this braising season with a pot roast. Now, I should mention, that I never ever do my vegetables or potatoes in with a pot roast. I just don't. I prefer roasted veggies to mush and mashed potatoes with a braised reduction sauce is a marvelous thing to behold.

Pot Roast:
I always use a blade roast or chuck for you Americans :) . In this case, I'm using a fairly small one. One, because Jake has my large Le Crueset pot :P and two, because there's just two of us eating it this week.

Posted Image

Gather your mise en place (or ingredients needed for the unititated in kitchenspeak). If you're a new cook, nothing beats making sure you've got all the ingredients to hand (and if Anthony Bourdain was peeking over your shoulder, he'd damn well make sure you did)!

Here I'm using bacon, carrots, onions and garlic, thyme, rosemary and parsley. I'll be adding a little tomato paste as we go. for the liquid, I'm going to deglaze with brandy, then use equal parts beef broth and red wine. In this braise, I'm using a Cab Merlot and the little half bottles give pretty much a cup and half, which is what I wanted here. Any good robust red wine will do. Just remember, if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using a heavy pot, Le Crueset or other heavy enamelled cast iron, Brown the roast in a little olive oil. You want to brown it fairly well on all sides:
Posted Image

Remove the roast and add the bacon to the pot and cook until just getting crisp. Then remove the bacon and place beside the roast:
Posted Image

Add the carrots, garlic and onion, or whatever aromatics you want to use, (celery, shallots etc) and cook for 5 minutes or so until the onion starts to get soft.

Posted Image

At this point, add the tomato paste to the carrots et al, and let it cook for three or four minutes until it starts to darken a bit:
Posted Image

Then deglaze the pot with some brandy and cook till most of the brandy has reduced. At this point, it's time to add the wine and beef broth and let it simmer for 10 minutes or so.:
Posted Image

Add the meat and the bacon back into the pot, and add the herbs that have been tied up in cheesecloth. Cover and stick in a 250 oven for about 4 hours. Check the meat every 30 minutes or so to make sure the liquid isn't bubbling too much. You want a bare simmer here. Also, take the 30 minute mark as an opportunity to turn the roast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After about 4 hours, take the roast out, and set it on a platter.

Posted Image

Strain and degrease the sauce. I highly recommend a fat separator for this:
Posted Image

Now you can go one of two ways. You can reduce the sauce and finish it with some butter and dijon and serve, or even better, you can pour the strained and defatted sauce over the meat, cover and refridgerate for a day or two. Braises, do exceptionally well when they are made a day or two ahead of serving.

I've elected to go that route, and so I've just poured the sauce back over.
Posted Image

Tomorrow or Thursday, whenever we get around to eating it, I'll reheat gently in a 250 oven for an hour or so, then remove the meat, reduce the sauce and add some butter and dijon. Served with mashed potatoes and green beans, this ain't like you'r momma used to make. Unless she was a really good cook that is! :)

Left over pot roast is exceptionally good as beef dip sandwiches too!
Administrator, CooksKorner
cookskorner@gmail.com

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#2 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

I heated the pot roast tonight that I made last Friday for dinner. With the usual mashed, gravy and glazed carrots, I always pour at least a cup and a half of the sauce out into a container before I thicken the rest, since I want the thin jus for beef dip sandwiches. Port roast really doesn't photograph well though. :D Yes I could have chopped up some parsley and sprinkled it on, but we were tired, and hungry as we both had been working out at the gym a little while ago. (did I mention the lad has joined the gym? This forces me to do extra cardio while I'm waiting for him) :D

Posted Image

Edited to add, well I was going to have beef dip sandwiches tomorrow, seeing as I'll be on my own for dinner. However, my husband's dinner plans changed tonight, and now for some reason, he's expecting food. :D the leftover pot roast and sauce have now gone back into the oven to warm up for him. I'll find myself something else for dinner tomorrow. :D
cookskorner@gmail.com

#3 James

James
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

Good for Don, even if he won't eat quiche :P , he'll have a nice dinner!
That photo is great, it's almost ECU (extreme close up) :D
"A stew boiled is a stew spoiled!"
-Mrs. Bridges, in Upstairs Downstairs

#4 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Well I have to feed him. :D thanks for the compliment on the pic. I never know whether to go for the ECU or the step back and get everything in pic. I tend to go for the latter. :blink:
cookskorner@gmail.com

#5 Lancastermike

Lancastermike
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:16 PM

Cold and rainy and sleety here today. So, I made another pot roast and got some pics today.

Got this hunk o' chuck

Posted Image

Chopped veggies, some onion and some carrot, cause that's what I had

Posted Image

I had no fresh herbs today. My herb garden is done for the year and I did not pick up any, so it's dried today. Some rosemary and some tyme.

Posted Image

Today's braising liquids. Nice red wine and boxed broth. Yeah, I know I should make my own. I hardly ever make beef stock, I do make my own chicken and I have a smoked turkey carcass in the freezer.

Posted Image

And my special ingredient, dried porcini mushrooms. They go in the braising liquid and give a wonderful rich mushroom taste to meat and the sauce

Posted Image

Here is the chuck after it was browned. Marlene used bacon and that is a great idea. I used a little canola oil as I had no bacon in the house. Note to Marlene: Please do not tell our bacon loving friend from Minnesota I had no bacon. She will never forgive me.

Posted Image

Vegetables starting to cook. After a bit I added salt and pepper, some garlic and the dried herbs.

Posted Image

Added some tomato paste to the veggies and let it cook several minutes. Another rich tasting item the tomato paste also adds some sweetness.

Posted Image

Deglazed with some of the wine and let it cook away. Than added the liquid and the dried mushrooms and let it simmer a while

Posted Image

Added the chuck roast and put a lid on it and into the oven for the better part of the afternoon.

Posted Image

The roast after 4 hours or so in the oven.

Posted Image

I strain out all the veggies as they have given up all they got by this point. Let is simmer away for awhile

Posted Image

After it reduced some I added a cornstarch slurry to thicken and a little butter just because

Posted Image

For the last 30 minutes of so I added these little Yukon Gold spuds and they cooked up very nice and fluffy.

This was real good with a glass of the red. Leftovers for tomorrow as well.
Mike Weidinger
Millersville PA

#6 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

Oh nicely done, Mike! (I promise I won't tell you had no bacon in the house) :D Leftover pot roast sandwiches are the best!
cookskorner@gmail.com

#7 Dianne

Dianne
  • Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Very nice, Mike.

#8 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

It's not exactly a summer meal, but then again, it hasn't exactly been much like summer, so last night was pot roast, garlic mashed with some chives from the garden and green beans with a lemon cream vinaigrette and parmesan bread crumbs

Posted Image

Posted Image
cookskorner@gmail.com

#9 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Made up a blade pot roast for dinner last night, braised in red wine with mushrooms, onions, carrots and parsnips, and served with boiled new potatoes. Not my best results ever: the meat wasn't as tender as I would have liked, and I forgot - sigh - to thicken the sauce. That said, it was still a comforting meal, as summer turns inexorably to fall.
Posted Image

Another sign of the changing seasons: there's no longer enough sunlight at 7:30 p.m. to take photos without additional lighting. The mixed light sources didn't do wonderful things to the white balance on this photo!
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#10 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I have a blade pot roast for Sunday that I plan to make for Sunday. I plan to do it in the slow
cooker and I am a very novice user of one. Does it make a difference if you do same day or as in braising in the oven better to do the day before.? Or does it matter?

Edited by Madge, 15 February 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#11 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

it probably doesn't matter. Pot roast regardless of how you make it will always be better with a day's rest but for sure you can do it the same day.
cookskorner@gmail.com

#12 Madge

Madge
  • Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Marlene. I figured it didn't matter but my slow cooker ignorance is shining through. I feel comfortable braising but want to get more familiar with this gadget. I'm not even really sure why as I am home most days so time isn't really an issue for me.

#13 Marlene

Marlene

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

slow cookers can come in handy even when you are at home. Especially if you want to use the oven for something else. As long as you brown the meat first, and use possibly a little less liquid, it should be all good. I have one, both here and at the cottage. I don't use it very often, but I do use it. I'll likely use it more this summer to show my son how to use it for different things.
cookskorner@gmail.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users