Canada Day

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

We had a bit of a gathering at our new house for Canada Day. Normally, we go to Ottawa to take part in the festivities there, but it just didn't make sense this year, so we decided to bring some of the festivities here!

We started off with guacamole and tortilla chips, potato chips and fresh local cherries, most of which ended up on the shirt of one of our guests. In her defence, she's only 2 years old.

Posted Image

We then moved on to veggies that I had grilled in advance and chilled overnight...

Posted Image

...potato salad with olive oil, garlic and parsley...

Posted Image

...and grilled chicken. Shown is the last, lonely piece of chicken on the grill. It found a good home, though. :D

Posted Image

Dessert was strawberry-rhubarb pie and rhubarb-cheese tart. No pics of those, though.

And, in addition to the usual wine, beer, and non-alcoholic drinks, we served a drink I read about in Mark Kingwell's book Classic Cocktails: A Modern Shake. Called a "Canadian Daisy," it consisted of Canadian whisky (I used Forty Creek for the first batch and Crown Royal for the second), lemon juice, raspberry syrup, a splash of soda, a float of brandy and a couple of raspberries for garnish. I didn't get any pictures of these, either, which is too bad, because they were a brilliant red colour. The perfect drink to celebrate our country's birthday!
kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#2 Matthew Kayahara

Matthew Kayahara
  • Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

Our mostly-annual Canada Day party is fast approaching, and since the restaurant will be closed that day, it seemed like a good idea to invite a bunch of people over, serve some Canadian craft-brewed beer, and grill up a bunch of food! This year, we decided on a theme of "skewered food," so I'm brainstorming ideas. So far, I have the following:

-Beef satay

-Yakitori

-Pork souvlaki

-Merguez

-Vietnamese lemongrass pork

-Something seafood: maybe octopus?

-Vegetarian options: maybe eggplant with miso glaze? Halloumi?

My husband will make Nanaimo bars for dessert, and I might make the birthday cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar if I can find red and white sprinkles. I've also been thinking about angel food cake with strawberries as a good red-and-white option.

Anyone have any other ideas for skewered foods?

kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

"A pot saver is a self-hampering cook. Use all the pans, bowls, and equipment you need, but soak them in water as soon as you are through with them. Clean up after yourself frequently to avoid confusion."
-Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking

#3 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

It all sounds delicious.  I am a BIG fan of halloumi, so I vote for that.  As far a vegetable offerings go, how about those little caprese skewers?  Tiny sweet tomatoes, bocconcini and a basil leaf.  Bonus – they are red and white!

Be sure to let us know what you decided on and pictures, please!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users