Charlottesville Va Trip

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kim shook

kim shook
  • Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

One of Jessica’s gifts to Mike was a session in a sensory deprivation tank.  For that, we traveled to Charlottesville VA where we also had lunch and dinner.  Lunch at The Flat – a crêperie behind the Downtown Mall.  I had the Temptation of Adam:

med_gallery_3331_344_57809.jpg

Apple, Brie and Ham.

Jessica had the Crepes According to Anna (no picture) with ham, Brie and local jam.

Mike had the Southside of Heaven:

med_gallery_3331_344_55208.jpg

Chicken, spinach, onion, feta and Cheddar.

All were delicious.  And enormous.  Only Mike finished his.

Dinner was remarkable.  We ate at Al Carbon – it comes across as a Mexican/Charcoal rotisserie chicken place.  And it is, but SO much more and better.  Jess and Mike had discovered it one time when they went to a game and raved about it.  The food was so wonderful and different and satisfying that days later, I’m still thinking about it and I’m ready to go back any time!  We shared two cemitas (Mexican sandwiches) and charcoal roasted sweet potatoes.

This was the breaded beef sandwich:

med_gallery_3331_344_118966.jpg

You can’t tell by the picture, but the sandwich was huge – easily 7-inches across.  The beef was 6 thin layers of tender, delicious breaded beef and it included avocado, fresh Oaxacan cheese, papalo (an herb like cilantro), red onion, a slice of ham and something creamy – I’m guessing mayo rather than crema. 

The other sandwich had all of the same fixings but was made with the charcoal cooked chicken.  It was incredibly tasty and moist:

med_gallery_3331_344_58432.jpg

The potatoes are roasted over charcoal and then topped with sweetened condensed milk.  Incredibly good:

med_gallery_3331_344_141578.jpg

Churros for dessert:

med_gallery_3331_344_123075.jpg

Unfortunately, they weren’t serving the cajeta stuffed ones that night.  Still fantastic, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users